Pressure Cooker Creamy Garden Tomato Soup is a healthy vegetarian recipe made in your Instant Pot with ripe tomatoes from the garden along with Parmesan, balsamic vinegar and pesto for amazing flavor!
Pressure Cooker Creamy Garden Tomato Soup
Are you still enjoying the fruits of your labor in the garden? Tomatoes are nearing the end of their season here in the Midwest, but there are still some ripe ones for the picking. Hopefully you still have some garden tomatoes left to make this amazingly delicious Pressure Cooker Creamy Garden Tomato Soup in your Instant Pot or a fresh batch of Garden Salsa. This soup is bursting with fresh bright flavors from pesto, balsamic vinegar and Parmesan cheese. Store bought canned tomato soup is no comparison to this recipe!
Pressure Cooker Tomato Soup
If fresh tomatoes are out of season for you, you can certainly used canned tomatoes as a substitute. Honestly that is a better option than the hard woody tomatoes you find in the grocery store in the middle of the winter. They have so little flavor that they don’t contribute much to a dish, whereas canned tomatoes are usually preserved at their peak freshness. None of those can come close to ripe garden tomatoes though!
If you can your own garden tomatoes, that is a great alternative to fresh tomatoes. If that isn’t an option, then I always recommend fire roasted tomatoes for the best store bought option. They have much more flavor than regular diced tomatoes and a little less liquid.
Healthy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
After you have made all the BLTs a person can eat in the summer with those amazingly sweet tomatoes, give this Pressure Cooker Creamy Garden Tomato Soup a try for something healthy and different. All tomato soup goes great with a grilled cheese and this one is no exception. Slather some fresh bread with butter and pile it high with your favorite cheese, like Havarti and grill up a quick sandwich to pair with this soup. It’s a stellar combination that can’t be beat!
More Healthy Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Pressure Cooker Lemon Chicken & Brown Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Hamburger & Pasta Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Soup
- Pressure Cooker Creamy Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. small yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 lb. garden tomatoes OR 3, 14.5-ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. basil pesto
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan
- fresh basil for garnish - optional
- Add your tomatoes to a large bowl and pour boiling water over them. After a few minutes, using dishwashing gloves to protect your hands from the heat, peel and core the tomatoes.
- Turn your electric pressure cooker to saute and add the butter. When the butter is melted add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Turn off the saute function.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the Half & Half & Parmesan. Set the pressure cooker for 5 minutes on high pressure and turn the valve to seal.
- When the time is up, release the pressure using the valve and carefully remove the bay leaf.
- Add the Parmesan and Half & Half to the pot and transfer the soup in batches to your blender. Blend the soup until it is smooth. Serve topped with fresh basil or homemade croutons.
- (If you don't have a blender, you can use an immersion blender in the pressure cooker to blend it, but it won't be as smooth.)
Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 36mg Sodium: 1167mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 7g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g