Healthy Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Soup is a healthy and easy 30 minute dinner recipe made in your Instant Pot with delicious southwest flavors and creamy Greek Yogurt.
Light White Chicken Chili
In our family we grew up with classic chili as a staple at dinner during the winter. It was always served up with grilled cheese sandwiches slathered in butter and while I wasn’t a huge fan of chili as a child, I was all about those grilled cheese!
It was the only time we got to enjoy what is a staple in most people’s childhood. As I have grown up, I have begun to appreciate beans far more than my younger self.
Now I enjoy a good bowl of chili to warm up with and actually add beans to my recipes voluntarily! This Healthy Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Soup is a grown up take on chili with a healthy twist.
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
My former boss was raving about Lunds & Byerlys Chili Blanco and I had to give it a try. It was delicious but with lots of sour cream and shredded cheese it wasn’t very light.
I re-worked the recipe a little and lightened it up with plain Greek yogurt and added some black beans and a little more spice to the mix. It is just as delicious with a fraction of the fat and best of all this Instant Pot chicken chili is made quick and easy in your electric pressure cooker!
Healthy Soup Recipe
Soup is such a great way to eat healthy and the Instant Pot makes it particularly easy to enjoy a quick and healthy recipe. This Healthy Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Soup is loaded with protein packed beans and chicken breasts and is in a delicious broth flavored with southwest spices and vegetables.
It is finished off with some Greek yogurt and Manchego cheese for a creamy soup that is hearty and comforting. If you are like me and like a little crunch on top of your soup, some crispy tortilla strips or chips would get a fantastic finishing touch to this recipe.
Do I need a pressure cooker?
If you are still holding out on buying an electric pressure cooker, you really should give it a shot. You don’t have to spend the big bucks on an Instant Pot.
I have a couple different brands and at the end of the day they all do the same job. You can get other brands for a fraction of the price. It does take up a decent amount of space in your kitchen, but it is so versatile.
You can make everything from this Healthy Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili Soup to hot dishes like this Pressure Cooker Light Pizza Noodle Casserole.
Not only are there lots of amazing Instant Pot dinner recipes, you can use it for lots of staples as well. Making the perfect hard boiled eggs in the pressure cooker as well as quick and simple quinoa are two of my favorite ways to use the small appliance.
I just store my Instant Pot away in the pantry when it isn’t in use so it doesn’t take up so much counter space.
Can I make this soup on the stovetop?
This white chicken chili recipe can certainly be adapted for the stovetop. Simply sauté your onion, garlic and spices in a large kettle or Dutch oven. Add the chicken breasts, chicken base and green chilies.
Cook on medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Add the beans and cook until the chicken is cooked through at an internal temperature of 165°.
Remove the chicken from the pot while continuing to simmer the soup. Shred the chicken with two forks and return to the soup. Stir in the Greek yogurt and cheese until smooth.
Viola! You have an easy soup on your stovetop. The pressure cooker just takes the task of watching that the soup isn’t burning on the bottom or cooking over out of the equation. You can set it and forget it!
More healthy soup recipes in your pressure cooker!
If you are looking for more easy and healthy soup recipes in your pressure cooker like this White Chicken Chili, try out some of these other great recipes!
- Pressure Cooker Lemon Chicken & Brown Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Minestrone Soup
- Pressure Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cook under pressure
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch pepper
- 2 4 oz can green chilies
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Better Than Bouillon chicken base, optional
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
Add after pressure release
- 1 15.8 oz can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 5.3 oz container non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 c. Manchego or Monteray Jack cheese, shredded
- green onion and/or cilantro for serving
- Add the olive oil to your pot and turn on to saute. When the oil is heated, add the onion, garlic and spices. Cook for 3 minutes and add the chicken broth. Using your spatula or wooden spoon, scrape any brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Turn the pot to warming.
- Add the chicken base, green chilies and chicken breasts to the pot. Give everything a quick stir and lock the lid in place and turn the valve to pressure.
- Cook on high pressure for 12 minutes. Release the pressure and remove the chicken breasts from the pot. Set aside on a plate.
- Add the beans and cheese and stir until smooth.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts and add them back to the soup. Stir in the Greek yogurt until smooth and serve topped with diced green onions and cilantro.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 537Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1388mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 12gSugar: 1gProtein: 53g