This easy homemade Taco Pizza is a kid friendly dinner made with simple and delicious Mexican flavors for a recipe your family will be requesting again and again!
Favorite Family Dinner Recipe
This Easy Taco Pizza was one of my favorite family dinner recipes my Mom made growing up. Mexican flavors were always a big hit in our home and this easy recipe was no exception.
I never claim this type of food is authentic, and neither does Taco Bell, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t taste great! Now that I’m all grown up, I enjoy lots of Mexican recipes like Pork Street Tacos, but nothing can beat the comfort food from childhood like this Taco Pizza. It will always be one of my most loved family dinners!
Easy Recipe For Kids
If your kids can’t decide whether they want homemade pizza or tacos for dinner, combine them into one easy meal that is the ultimate compromise.
It’s an easy recipe for kids to help make. As much as it can strain your patience to let kids help while trying to get dinner on the table, it really is great to let them help in the kitchen once and awhile.
The only things my kids enjoy helping me cook more than pizza are cookie recipes. Not only are they obsessed with using my stand mixer, but no matter what we are making they are sure to steal some bites before it bakes. Let’s be real, nothing beats cookie dough when you are a kid.
My toddlers request this taco pizza because they love pressing the dough out on the pan and sprinkling the ingredients on top. There really isn’t much they can mess up in this kid friendly recipe…other than eat all the cheese before it gets on the pan!
Easy Taco Pizza Variations
This taco pizza takes about 15 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to bake. I make this Taco Pizza quick and easy like my Mom always did with a can of refried beans, pizza dough mix and hamburger with a packet of taco seasoning.
Quick and easy is what works for my family, but you can take it to the next level with homemade ingredients like fresh salsa, refried beans from scratch and a homemade yeast pizza crust.
No matter how you make your pizza, I promise it will quickly be a favorite recipe on your family’s weeknight rotation!
How to Make Homemade Taco Pizza
- The first step in this homemade pizza is making your crust. While you could use a tube of pre-made pizza dough for a faster option, I use a packet of pizza dough mix. Simply add the dough mix to a bowl with water, stir and let rest for at least 10 minutes. I typically prepare my dough an hour or two before I make my pizza for the best results. It only takes 2 minutes to make the dough, so it is something quick and easy you can do ahead of time and set out on your counter.
- While the dough is resting, add the lean ground beef to a hot skillet and break it up using your meat chopper. If you don’t already own one of these, I highly recommend it! It is such a simple kitchen tool, but it is crazy how much easier it makes preparing hamburger. Once your meat has cooked for a few minutes, add the taco seasoning to your pan. I always use lean ground beef so I don’t have to drain any fat off, but if you are using a fattier meat, then add the taco seasoning after you strain off the fat so you don’t loose all the flavor. Let the meat simmer with the seasoning and thicken for 5 minutes.
- After your dough has rested, spread it out evenly over a well greased sheet pan. Spread the refried beans over the crust. If you are using canned beans or refrigerated refried beans, you may want to soften them first by warming them just a little in the microwave. This will make them easier to spread over the crust.
- Top the beans with the taco seasoned ground beef and shredded cheese. I usually just grab a bag of shredded Mexican blend at the grocery store for the quickest option. If I have extra time I buy my favorite cheese, Manchego and shred it up myself for amazing flavor.
- Bake the Taco Pizza at 350° for 20 minutes, or until the crust is baked through. While the pizza is baking, chop up your tomatoes and lettuce. to serve on top.
When the taco pizza is done baking, top it with the fresh vegetables. Black olives, avocado and green onion would all make great additions to the lettuce and tomatoes. Drizzle the pizza with taco sauce or salsa and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
If you have some picky eaters in your family, serve the baked pizza with the toppings on the side. This allows everyone choose how spicy of salsa they want or what vegetables work for them. It is also great for storing leftovers. This recipe serves a large family, so you may have leftovers which are great reheated. In this case it’s best not to put all the fresh vegetables on the pizza right away.
Serve to your family however it works best for you and enjoy! Just be careful to cool it off a little for your little kids. Those refried beans stay really hot, so don’t let them burn little mouths. I always slice the taco pizza into small pieces and pop it in the freezer for 1 minute before serving it to my toddlers.
More delicious Mexican inspired recipes!
- Light Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- Pressure Cooker Taco Mac and Cheese
- Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Air Fryer Fish Tacos
- Taco Dip
- 1 (6.5 oz.) pkg pizza dough mix
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 pkt. taco seasoning
- 2 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 3 c. shredded lettuce
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- taco sauce or salsa
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dough mix with the required water until well combined. Let rest for at least 10 minutes. (Dough is best if you prepare it an hour or more before baking the pizza)
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the hamburger, breaking it up with your meat chopper. Add the taco seasoning and cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Spread the dough out over a well greased pizza pan. Spread the beans over the dough and top with the taco meat and shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes, or until the crust is cooked through.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, taco sauce or salsa and a dollop of sour cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 619mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.
This recipe first appeared on Yellow Bliss Road