30 Minute Light Chicken Enchiladas are full of crumbled chicken & vegetables and a spicy enchilada sauce for an easy and healthy weeknight dinner!
I ran across some Archer Farms Crumbled Mexican Chicken at Target and thought it would work great for some sort of easy dinner. I ended up using it for some quick tacos and then this delicious enchilada dish. I tossed the crumbled chicken with some enchilada sauce, onion, banana peppers, tomatoes and spices and rolled the mixture in some grilled corn tortillas. I topped the mixture with more enchilada sauce and some freshly grated Manchego cheese.
Mmmmm…that Manchego cheese is just so pretty but more importantly it tastes AMAZING! I only started cooking with Manchego this last year and the only thing disappointing about it, is that I didn’t start using it sooner! It’s sharp flavor and slightly lower fat content make it a great addition to any dish you are trying to lighten up.
You might be tempted to skip the grilling of the corn tortillas in this recipe to save time and make life a bit easier, but please DON’T! A grilled corn tortilla has a completely different texture than a plain one. Without grilling them, the tortillas will crumble and fall apart and you will just be left with one pan of a mushy Mexican goodness. Take the extra 5 minutes any time you are making corn tortillas and pop them in a hot pan. It is totally and completely worth it!
30 Minute Light Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 banana pepper finely diced (you could also use a jalapeno or bell pepper)
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 6 oz. Archer Farms Crumbled Mexican Chicken you can substitute seasoned sauteed ground chicken or turkey
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- 2 oz. Manchego cheese shredded (you can substitute a different sharp cheese)
- 1/4 c. Cilantro chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Meanwhile spray each side of the tortillas with non-stick pan spray. In a large skillet over high heat, add four of the tortillas and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, just until slightly browned. Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Set aside. In that same skillet add the onion and peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl toss together the chicken, onions, peppers, tomato, spices and half the can of enchilada sauce.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of the mixture over each tortilla and roll up. Arrange the rolled tortillas in a sprayed 8x10 pan.
- Cover the enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and the shredded cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes covered. Remove the cover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
More light and delicious Mexican dishes!