BBQ Chicken & Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls are a hearty and healthy dinner idea bursting with bold flavors and nutritious vegetables. This easy sheet pan recipe is perfect for meal prepping lunches for work or a quick weeknight meal.
BBQ Chicken & Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls
Are you in a dinner rut? It happens to the best of us. I know I find myself there more often than not, making the same simple meals over and over. I crave something different, but don’t always feel overly ambitious to try anything new. These BBQ Chicken & Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls are the perfect departure from your normal dinner routine, but are beautifully simple and easy.
Toss the sweet potatoes and onions on a sheet pan and coat them with olive oil, garlic and chipotle powder. After they have baked for 20 minutes, add the broccoli and seasoned chicken breasts to the pan and bake an additional 15 minutes until everything is cooked through. Shred the chicken breasts and toss them with some additional BBQ sauce. Pile all of the goodness into bowl and enjoy!
Leftovers work great for packed lunches to bring to work the next day. There really isn’t anything better than a delicious and simple meal that is easy to throw together like this BBQ Chicken & Roasted Sweet Potato Bowls. They are a healthy dinner idea full of veggies and lean protein for a meal you can feel great about!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. salt, divided
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. chipotle powder (or chili powder)
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ c. BBQ sauce, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into ½" chunks. Chop onion into 1 inch pieces and add to a lined sheet pan along with the sweet potatoes. Toss the vegetables with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, ¼ tsp. salt, garlic powder and chipotle powder and toss until well combined. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes and push to one side of the pan. Add the broccoli and toss with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and ¼ tsp. salt. Add the chicken breasts and brush with ¼ c. BBQ sauce. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes at 400° until the chicken is done.
- Remove the pan from the oven and shred the chicken breasts using two forks. Toss the chicken with the remaining BBQ sauce. Add to bowls along with the roasted vegetables and serve immediately.