If you are looking for a fun and classic dessert for Valentine’s Day, these layered red Jell-O cups are the perfect treat for kids!
Layered Jell-O 1-2-3 Dessert
A Valentine’s Day Jell-O cup creates a lovely way to say “I love you” with Jello. Layers of red Jell-O set with layers of Jell-O mixed with Cool Whip, makes for such a colorful and fun treat! It looks complicated but it is actually super easy to do.
I grew up in the 90’s with a product called Jell-O 1-2-3 that my Mom made often. It was this magical box mix that you prepared like jello, but it separated itself into three layers. The top layer was frothy and light, the bottom was regular jello and the middle was something in between.
I actually remember my Mom being very frustrated when she realized they discontinued making it in the late 90s. I’m not sure why they discontinued such a popular product, but these days we have to layer the jello ourselves.
Jello Dessert perfect for Valentine’s Day
I know, I know. Some people think Valentine’s Day isn’t really a holiday. Or, they discount it just because the Hallmark company invented it as a marketing gimmick. But, leave that all aside and let’s face the facts.
Valentine’s Day is a wonderful way to step up and share heartfelt and lovely feelings with those you love. Could anything eve be wrong with going out of one’s way to say “I love you”?
C’mon, Jello is just one of the most fun foods on the planet. Even the slightest jiggle is likely to put a smile on your face. We grew up on the classic dessert as kids. From jigglers to the Jell-O 1-2-3 dessert, it was always a family favorite.
Valentine’s Day Jello Ideas
So, that is where this works so perfectly as a Jello dessert for your special Valentines. The layers of jello and Cool Whip enhanced jello not only still have all the jiggle you need, but the Cool Whip mixed in also creates a parfait like quality.
Bonus! That makes Valentine’s Day JellO like two desserts in one.
Healthier Jello Cup Substitutions
If you want to make these dessert cups a little bit healthier, you could substitute vanilla yogurt for the whipped topping. Swap out half a container Cool Whip for 1 cup yogurt for two of the layers.
You can also use sugar free jello or Cool Whip. If you are sensitive to sugar, this is good option. If we are being honest though, I don’t feel that sugar free is much healthier. Artificial sweeteners and sugar are a toss up in my book.
Tips On Making Layered Jello Desserts
Since the key to this Valentine’s Day Jello is getting those nice clean layer lines, you need to make sure your Jell-O sets up between layers. If you don’t let the jello set then the layers will cave in on each other.
It will still taste great. The jello will still jiggle and bounce. But it just won’t have that same elegance. Of course, if the layers do crash together, then don’t worry. Just say it was intentional and you were trying for a tye-die effect.
What About An Adult Version Like Valentine Jello Shots?
If you want to make an adult version of this, similar to Jello shots, then you can add a couple shots of your favorite booze to the jello when it cools enough. You don’t want the alcohol to evaporate!
Check out this tutorial for Jello Shots for more details. Just layer up the red jello and Cool Whip for a fun holiday twist.
Just be sure to keep the adult version away from the kids. Because only you will know the difference. Just good to know that Valentine’s Day Jello can be kid friendly, or adults only. Similarly to this Boozy Hot Cocoa Bomb Gift!
More Dessert Ideas For Valentine’s Day
- Hot Cocoa Bombs – We are gifting the kids’ friends these homemade hot cocoa bombs at daycare this year.
- Peanut Butter Buckeye Heart Brownies – This is a recipe adults and kid will all love!
- Sweet & Salty Puffcorn Snack Mix – Add a Valentine flair with some heart sprinkles and red M&Ms
- Strawberry ombre cake – If you really want to make a delicious dessert, try out this impressive cake
- 4 boxes (3 ounce) of Jell-O (I used a mix of strawberry, raspberry, and black cherry)
- 1 package (12 ounces) whipped topping
- Berries, Whipped Cream and Sprinkles, optional
- In a small bowl, combine 1 package of jello with 1 cup boiling water. Whisk until completely dissolved. Mix in 1 cup ice cold water. Divide this jello between 6-8 cups, depending on how large you want each serving. Refrigerate until the jello is completely set, about 1 hour.
- Combine the second package of jello with 1 cup boiling water until dissolved. Add 1 cup ice cold water. Whisk in half a container (6 ounces) of whipped topping before pouring it over the first layer (make sure the first layer is fully set before you pour another layer on top).
- Place the jello cups back in the refrigerator to chill for another hour, or until set.
- Next, combine the third package of jello with 1 cup boiling water until dissolved. Add 1 cup ice cold water. Layer the jello over the set second layer. Return to the refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set.
- Lastly, combine the fourth package of jello with 1 cup boiling water until dissolved. Add 1 cup ice cold water. Whisk in half a container (6 ounces) of whipped topping before pouring it over the third layer. Refrigerator for 1 hour, or until set.
- When the jello cups are set, top with whipped topping, sprinkles, or berries, if desired. Serve chilled. These jello cups can be made up to 24 hours in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
You can do as many layers as you like-- if you don’t have time to do four separate layers, consider doing just two or three.
Make sure each layer is completely set before moving onto the next one.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 82mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 2g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.