This easy Rhubarb Bread recipe is studded with walnuts and laced with fresh orange juice and zest for a wonderfully flavorful and moist treat for breakfast or simple dessert!
Rhubarb Bread Recipe
This Rhubarb Bread recipe comes from an old fashioned Midwest cookbook from my grandma. When rhubarb season is in full swing, we can’t get enough of it around here. We already have lots of favorite rhubarb recipes in rotation, but there is always room for new ones!
It may be nearing the end of rhubarb season, but we just had to share this rhubarb bread with you instead of keeping it hidden away until next spring. It will definitely be making an annual appearance!
Easy Rhubarb Bread
This easy Rhubarb Bread is made with chopped walnuts and fresh squeezed orange juice and zest from the rind. It is loaded with bright flavors and is perfect with a little soft salted butter spread over top.
Pair it with some fresh fruit and this Overnight Sausage Egg Bake for the perfect brunch spread.
Dairy Free Rhubarb Recipe
Unlike our favorite Rhubarb Muffins, this rhubarb bread is dairy free. It is made with shortening for a great crumb and texture and the added moisture comes from the orange juice. It is a great dairy free option for a brunch when serving people with dietary restrictions.
Can I substitute the walnuts?
If someone has an allergy to nuts, you can leave them out without making any other adjustments to the recipe. You can also swap them out for pecans, pistachios or just about any other nut that you enjoy.
How to make Rhubarb Orange Bread
This rhubarb orange bread only requires 9 simple ingredients. Apart from the rhubarb that you will need to grab from your plant, you should be able to find everything else in your pantry and refrigerator.
Rhubarb Bread Ingredients
Here is what you will need to make this easy Rhubarb Orange Bread.
- butter flavored shortening
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
Grease the bottom of a 9×5 loaf pan with shortening, butter or pan spray. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar. Mix in the orange zest and eggs one at a time. Mix just until combined
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients alternately into the wet ingredients with the orange juice. Mix in the chopped rhubarb and nuts. Spread the batter into the greased loaf pan and let stand 20 minutes.
Baking Rhubarb Bread
Preheat the oven to 350F with the batter is resting. Bake at 350F for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. If the toothpick has a little batter on it, return it to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Allow the bread to cool completely before serving. Serve with some room temperature salted butter for the perfect bite!
Can I bake with frozen rhubarb?
Fresh rhubarb is always ideal, but frozen rhubarb is a great alternative when it is out of season or it isn’t readily available.
If you are using frozen rhubarb for bread, be sure to follow these simple steps.
- Thaw the rhubarb
- Drain and pat the rhubarb dry
- Toss the rhubarb with a Tablespoon of flour to account for the extra moisture that tends to release from frozen rhubarb.
More delicious rhubarb dessert recipes!
If you love rhubarb as much as we do, be sure to check out some of these popular rhubarb dessert recipes that everyone is raving about!
Rhubarb Walnut Orange Bread
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons orange zest
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice (2-3 oranges)
- 1 cup finely chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
- Grease the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan with shortening, butter or pan spray. In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar.
- Mix in the orange zest and eggs one at a time. Mix just until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Alternate stirring the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients with the orange juice.
- Mix in the chopped rhubarb and nuts. Spread the batter into the greased loaf pan and let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F while the batter is resting. Bake at 350°F for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 5g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.
Leave a Reply