Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are made with a delicious brown sugar buttermilk batter and topped with a cinnamon and walnut streusel for a moist recipe perfect for any breakfast or spring brunch!
Easy Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins
Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are a tasty breakfast or treat with the perfect balance of sweet and tart flavors from fresh garden rhubarb stalks. If you love rhubarb recipes as much as I do you will not only love this muffin recipe but be sure to try this amazing Rhubarb Coffee Cake for another amazing brunch recipes. It is also made with buttermilk and oil for a similarly light and moist crumb that is absolutely amazing!
Simple Rhubarb Muffin Recipe
Ever since I first tried these Rhubarb Muffins, I became instantly obsessed! This is a recipe that my Mom has apparently been holding back on us for decades. For my sister’s bridal shower a few years ago, she made these rhubarb muffins and everyone was in love and asking for the recipe.
She claims that she has made them a few times in the distant past, but just forgot about these in the back of her pile of recipes. She typically makes this Rhubarb Custard Pie a few times each rhubarb season, which we all love as well, but these rhubarb muffins are a definite contender for using up all the rhubarb from our patch.
Grandma’s Rhubarb Muffins
We asked her where she found the recipe and she replied that she has had it forever and it is a recipe from my grandma. What the heck? Why in the world hasn’t she been making these muffins every single summer as soon as the rhubarb is ripe? Needless to say, we have made them many times since she re-introduced this recipe.
The best part about these rhubarb muffins is that you can not only enjoy them as a treat but seeing they are a muffin, it’s a great excuse to have a sweet breakfast!
For my sister’s morning bridal shower, we popped some of these DIY Pinwheels in each one to dress them up and they were a huge hit with everyone. It dressed up this simple rhubarb recipe with a fun homemade twist.
How to make rhubarb muffins
Time needed: 50 minutes.
To make these easy rhubarb muffins, preheat your oven to 325F, gather your ingredients and equipment and they will be ready to bake in just 20 minutes!
- Mix Wet Ingredients
In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Sift Dry Ingredients
Add the flour, salt and baking soda to a sifter and sift over the wet ingredients. Mix just until combined, being sure not to overmix.
- Add Rhubarb & Walnuts
Add rhubarb and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the batter and fold just until the nuts and rhubarb are incorporated into the batter. Divide the batter between 12 lined muffin tins.
- Top with Streusel
In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts. Sprinkle one tablespoons of streusel over each muffin.
Bake the streusel topped rhubarb muffins at 325F for 30 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the center of the muffins to check whether they are done. If the toothpick comes out clean, they are done. If it comes out with batter, add an additional few minutes to the baking time.
- Cool & Store
Allow the rhubarb muffins to cool to room temperature before serving. Store muffins in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
If you don’t have 1/2 cup buttermilk on hand, try one of these easy substitutions.
– 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt + 3 Tablespoons water
– 1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
– 1/2 cup milk + 1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar
– 1/2 cup milk + 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
– 1/3 cup sour cream + 3 Tablespoons water
More great brunch recipes for summer
Whether you are making a full spread for summer guests or just want to enjoy all the great flavors of summer from your garden, here are some more great recipes made with spring and summer produce.
- Cheesy Ham & Asparagus Quiche – This easy quiche recipe is rich and delicious. It’s a filling breakfast that will impress your guests and makes for great leftovers for lunch!
- Rhubarb Scones – If you are looking for another great rhubarb breakfast recipe, these easy rhubarb scones are a must try. They don’t require cutting any butter into the dough and result in a light and moist scone that is to die for.
- Mediterranean Breakfast Tostadas – These vegetarian tostadas with Greek flavors are so light and delicious. They are perfect for any breakfast.
- Fried Goat Cheese & Tomato Toasts – Creamy goat cheese is fried with a light breading and tops fresh heirloom tomatoes with a drizzle of balsamic glaze for the ultimate brunch recipe.
- Blueberry Strawberry French Toast Casserole – Add fresh berries to this easy French toast bake for a fantastic breakfast.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and place liners in your muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour, salt and baking soda to a sifter and sift over the wet ingredients. Mix just until well combined.
- Fold in the rhubarb and nuts into the batter just until incorporated. Scoop the batter into 12 lined muffin tins.
- Combine the streusel mixture in a small bowl and sprinkle one tablespoon over the tops of each muffins.
- Bake 30 minutes at 325°F.
- *Check whether or not they are done by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean they are fully baked, if not add a few additional minutes to the baking time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 6g