Keto Skillet Lasagna is a hearty and delicious low-carb dinner recipe loaded with the traditional Italian flavors. All the goodness of the classic meal comes together in just 30 minutes, without the carb heavy pasta!
When I first came across this Keto Skillet Lasagna, I knew I had to try it! I know I’m not the only one who loves a good old slice of Classic Lasagna. What’s not to love? Layers of pasta are filled with a hearty mix of ground beef in a tomato sauce with an over abundance of cheese. The only downfall to traditional Lasagna is the time it takes to make…and all the carbs!
We like taking shortcuts around here, with recipes like this Easy Skillet Lasagna to cut way down on prep time. You get all the great flavors of the Lasagna, but without all the time it takes to assemble and bake. While this recipe is great for a quick weeknight meal, it isn’t the healthiest of options with all that pasta.
At the end of the day, the flavors in Lasagna come from the meat, tomato sauce and cheese. So for this Keto Lasagna, we take the best parts of the classic dish and make it into a low-carb meal bursting with great flavors.
Low Carb Keto Recipes
This amazing Keto Skillet Lasagna recipe actually comes from the cookbook, Easy Keto in 30 Minutes. The talented food blogger, Urvashi from Two Sleevers sent me a copy and I was drooling as I paged through all of the low-carb recipes. From the Big Mac Salad to the Sour Cream Skillet Chicken Enchiladas, there are so many great recipes I can’t wait to try!
This cookbook is full of a variety of recipes from around the world. From Keto versions of familiar recipes like Beef Stroganoff and Texas Chili to more exotic flavors like Hot and Sour Egg Drop Soup and Sichuan Smashed Cucumbers. Check out the details below for a a copy of the book we are giving away!
What is Keto?
For those of you who have probably heard of Keto, but aren’t sure exactly what it means, it is a low-carb, high fat diet. Usually 60-75% of your daily calories come from fat. Guess where most of the flavor in recipes come from…the fat! That means, while Keto recipes typically have less than 10% carbs, they are loaded with lots of cheesy and meaty goodness.
I don’t personally follow the Keto diet, but I do try to stick to low carb meals when I can. The recipes in this cookbook will make a great addition to some of my other favorites like these Low Carb Stuffed Peppers and Banana Protein Pancakes.
When it comes to making Keto Lasagna, there are variations you can choose. Some people use a combination of beef and pork, while others, like this recipe, stick to just ground hamburger. I think that beef adds great flavor on it’s own, as long as it isn’t too lean.
The biggest controversy when it comes to Lasagna is whether to use Ricotta or Cottage Cheese. This Keto Lasagna calls for Ricotta, but my family loves cottage cheese and frankly my little grocery store in my tiny town doesn’t even sell Ricotta! Haha So I made that one simple swap and it tasted just like Mom’s lasagna without all the noodles. It really was soooo good!
The other cheese to think about is the Mozzarella. While the easiest option is to buy a bag of shredded Mozzarella, it most definitely isn’t the best option. It is totally worth taking the extra few minutes to grate a block of Mozzarella while the Keto Lasagna is simmering. Fresh cheese just melts so much nicer than the store bought stuff with the powder coating.
How to Make Keto Lasagna
- Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat and cook the ground beef, celery, onion, and garlic until the meat is no longer pink
- Stir in the marinara sauce, salt, and pepper and simmer on low while you prepare the cheese layer.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta (or cottage cheese in my case), half of the mozzarella, Parmesan, eggs, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, garlic power, and pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the meat and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese and egg layer is cooked through and set.
- Pop the skillet in the oven under the broiler and cook on high for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Let rest 10 minutes for easiest serving. Enjoy!
Easy Meal Prep Recipe
This Keto Lasagna reminded me of my favorite meals I get from Factor 75. They have lots of great flavors packed in a fatty, low-carb meal. It got me to thinking, I can meal prep this instead of buying meals when I have the time.
Don’t get me wrong, there are weeks where I just don’t have the energy to meal prep a bunch of food for the week, and having healthy meals delivered is the best alternative. But when I do have time, this particular recipe will be one of my go-to meals.
This Keto Lasagna is great for meal prep, because it reheats incredibly well. I reheated the leftovers for my family the other night and it tasted just as good as it did right out of the oven.
Toss in a side of some broccoli or green beans and you have the perfect meal to pack for lunch or reheat for a hectic dinner!
Because I know so many of you would love the recipes in this cookbook, we are giving away a copy! Leave a comment below telling us what recipe you would love to try in the cookbook. One winner will be chosen at random on Feb 27, 2020. (Only US entries allowed and be sure to leave your email address with your comment so we can contact the winner!)
If you think this Easy Keto in 30 Minutes Cookbook sounds like something you need in your life ASAP, grab the Kindle version and start cooking right away!
More hearty Keto recipes!
- Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata
- Roasted Poblano & Chorizo Egg Casserole
- Light Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- Everything Bagel Chicken Tenders
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. 85% lean ground beef
- ¼ c. diced celery
- ¼ c. diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ c. low-sugar marinara sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese or cottage cheese
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. minced garlic
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- For the meat layer: Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the ground beef, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in the marinara sauce, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, while you make the cheese layer.
- In a large bowl, stir together the ricotta, half of the mozzarella, the Parmesan, eggs, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, garlic power, and pepper. Spread the cheese mixture over the top of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat until the cheese is hot and cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes.Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Broil lasagna until top is browned, 2 to 3 minutes.Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Skillet Lasagna is excerpted from Easy Keto in 30 Minutes: More than 100 Ketogenic Recipes from Around the World © 2019 by Urvashi Pitre. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 520Total Fat: 36gCarbohydrates: 7gNet Carbohydrates: 7gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 41g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.