Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata is a light and healthy 20 minute dinner recipe full of fresh flavors.
Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata
If you are looking for a healthy, flavorful and filling dinner recipe, this Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata is perfection! Lean chicken breasts are tossed in a skillet with pesto and fresh summer vegetables, including asparagus, squash, zucchini and tomatoes. It is topped with a creamy burrata cheese for a delicious dinner you will love any time of the year!
I add in the cherry tomatoes at the very last minute so they are still crisp and juicy. I’m not a huge fan of soft and mushy cooked tomatoes in my recipes, so I prefer to cook them just enough to heat them through. They add a nice pop of flavor and crunch to the dish along with all the other cooked vegetables.
If you are ambitious and have loads of basil in your garden, you can certainly make a nice homemade pesto for this dish. I for one, am often lazy or in a hurry, so I just opt for a store bought pesto. I really like this Classico pesto because it has lots of Parmesan for extra flavor and it is stocked at my small local grocery store, so that’s an added bonus!
My husband wasn’t around when I made this Summer Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata, so I shared some leftovers with my parents when I visited. My Dad surprisingly liked the dish and was a big fan of the pesto flavor. I don’t think my mom has ever served him anything with pesto in his life! Lol It just goes to show, you never know what you might like and it’s always good to try new things!
Summer Pesto Chicken & Vegetable Skillet with Burrata
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt divided
- 1 c. sliced red onion
- 1/2 bunch asparagus cut in 2 inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small yellow squash sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c. pesto
- 1 burrata
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken tenders to the hot skillet and season with 1/4 tsp salt. Add the red onions around the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn the chicken and toss the onions. Add the asparagus to the skillet and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and yellow squash. Sprinkle everything with the remaining salt. Cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Toss everything with the pesto, stirring until everything is coated and add the cherry tomatoes. Cook one additional minute just to heat the tomatoes a little.
- Tear apart the burrata into large chunks and top the skillet with the cheese.
- Serve immediately.