Chipotle Chicken & Southwest Root Vegetable Bowls are a fresh and healthy dinner recipe made with chicken breasts, roasted sweet potatoes, carrots and red onions. The bowls are finished off with a light salsa fresca, avocados and lime juice for amazing fresh flavors!
Chipotle Chicken Bowls
If you are looking for a fresh and healthy meal, this Chipotle Chicken Bowl is an amazing dinner recipe with fresh vegetables and lean chicken breasts. I love a good bowl recipe like Cuban Chicken & Rice Bowls and Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bowls. It is such a great way to enjoy a complete mean with a protein, vegetable and carb!
Easy Sheet Pan Dinner Idea
Our carb in this meal are roasted sweet potatoes. They are so good for you and have tons of nutrients. Most importantly, they taste delicious, especially when they are roasted to sweet perfection with the outsides being just a little crispy and the insides tender soft.
To lighten things up and make this dish even healthier, we mixed the sweet potatoes with carrots. My favorite way to eat carrots are by roasting them, so it was a natural fit with the other roasted root vegetables. And for the picky eaters, it hides the carrots in with the potatoes!
The potatoes, carrots and onions all roast together on a sheet pan along with the chicken for an easy sheet pan dinner you can make in just 30 minutes.
How to make Chipotle Chicken & Vegetable Bowls
- To a small bowl, add the southwest spices, including ground corriander, cumin, chipotle powder, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and red onions to a sheet pan and roast with a drizzle of olive oil and half of the homemade blend of southwest spices.
- Add the chicken breasts with the other half of the spice blend and cook until they are caramelized and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°. Roasting onions really brings out their sweetness and mellows out their flavor.
- While the chicken and vegetables are roasting, mix together this salsa fresca. It’s a fresh and simple mix of chopped avocados and tomatoes with a splash of lime juice, salt and pepper. It’s the perfect compliment to the hearty roasted vegetables and chicken for a bit of brightness in the dish.
- Divide the chicken and vegetables between two bowls and serve with en extra wedge of lime. Dig in and enjoy!
Chipotle Root Vegetable Bowl Variations
This mix of roasted root vegetables and salsa fresca could be paired with just about any protein or enjoyed as a vegetarian dish all on it’s own! Serve it with some grilling cheese, a steak or even a pork loin.
Mix it up however you would like. This dish is incredibly versatile in that the homemade spice mix works on just about any meat.
More Healthy Bowl Recipes!
- Pulled Pork Bowls with Avocado Slaw
- Sweet Potato Taco Bowls
- Glazed Hoisin Meatball Bowls
- Fruit & Goat Cheese Chicken Bowls
- Korean Beef Bowl
Vegetables & Chicken
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp. olive oil
Southwest Spice Blend
- 1/4 tsp. ground corriander
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lime
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dice them into uniform 1/2 inch pieces. Peel and chop the carrot into 1/2 inch pieces. Slice the red onion into thick 1/3 inch slices.
- In a small bowl, mix the southwest spices until combined.
- On a large sheet pan, toss the sweet potato and carrots with a drizzle of olive oil and half of the spice mixture. Toss until well coated and arrange on one side of the pan.
- On the other side of the pan, toss the sliced onions with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry and rub with the remaining half of the spice mix. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and arrange them between the vegetables.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes.
- If you are using smaller chicken breasts, check the internal temperature mid way through. Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165° and the vegetables are tender. You may have to remove the chicken before the vegetables.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomato and avocado and add it to a medium bowl. Toss with the juice of 1/2 lime, salt and pepper, just until combined.
- Cut the remaining half of lime into wedges. Divide the roasted vegetables, chicken and tomato mixture between 2 bowls and serve immediately with wedges of lime.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 603Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 662mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 74g