Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries are a healthy side dish or snack recipe served with a homemade honey chipotle dip that is perfect with crispy fries!
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Air fryer sweet potato fries keep all the great flavor of those deep fried ones, but are so much healthier. Much like these delicious Air Fryer Carrot Fries, they are a more wholesome alternative to traditional French fries!
Considering how quickly you can make them, and how much easier it is to clean up afterwards… Why do it any other way?
How to make Sweet Potato Fries in an Air Fryer
The first concern of getting perfect fries? Making sure they are nice and lightly crispy on the outside, then fluffy and tender on the inside. If you had issues getting your air fryer to make good sweet potato fries, then help is on the way!
Tips for Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
There are a few tricks to help you avoid those mushy mess sweet potato fries.
- Get the prepped and cut fries in an ice bath of cool water with ice to cover. The colder the water, the crisper the fries. Keep them chilled for about 1 to 2 hours before you put them in the air fryer.
- Make sure your air fryer is nice and hot before you toss in the fries. It doesn’t take too long. But you want the coldest fries to hit the hottest heat possible. You cook them at 400 degrees Fahrenheit but you can pre-heat a bit higher if possible.
- Take the chilled fries and pat them dry before adding them to the air fryer. As dry as you can get them. The drier you start, the crisper you get – but do it quickly. Because remember, the colder the better too.
- Rely on small batches. Don’t put too many fries in at once. As long as there is plenty of air flow around the sweet potato fries, then they will cook evenly. Too many fries causes steam – the enemy of crispiness. You may have to adjust the amount based on the size of your fryer.
- Cut the fries to 1/4 inch matchsticks. The thin width allows the fries to crisp up nicely!
Leave Skin On Or Off For Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries?
So, this one’s easy. Your call. The skins on sweet potatoes are thin enough that they won’t create a hinderance to crisping up the sweet potatoes. It really comes down to your preference.
Like all root vegetables, make sure to wash the skins and if possible with an abrasive scrubber like a brush or scouring cloth. Just make sure neither of them is soapy. You definitely do NOT want soapy tasting fries.
Of course, if you plan on peeling them anyway, then no need to worry.
Serving Fries with Honey Chipotle Dipping Sauce
I may be in the minority in this, but I do NOT like ketchup with my sweet potato fries. Something creamy like this Curry Greek Yogurt Sauce, simple ranch or a spicy Honey Chipotle Dipping Sauce is more my jam.
The sauce for these fries is very easy. All you need to do is add the 4 simple ingredients, Greek yogurt, honey, chipotle powder and cinnamon. Give it a quick stir and let it chill while the sweet potatoes chill in the ice bath.
Dial the heat up or down according to your own tolerance. Chipotle powder can run pretty hot, but the burn is so sweet and smoky!
More Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes in your Air Fryer
Sweet potatoes are like potatoes on a health kick. Substituting them for regular potatoes is great, but nice to have some creative choices too. Here are some more healthy recipes you can make in your Air Fryer with them,
- Air Fryer BBQ Pork Sweet Potato Skins
- Sweet Potato Pizza Slices in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cauliflower Patties
- Homemade Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Breakfast Sweet Potato Skins
- Fluffy Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- Olive oil spray
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
For the Sweet Potato Fries
- Slice the potatoes into ¼” matchsticks. (peeling the potatoes is optional) Place the fries into a bowl of ice water while you cut the remaining potatoes.
- Let the potatoes sit for 1-2 hours in the ice bath for the crispiest fries.
- Remove the fries from the water and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Spray the potatoes lightly with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Add the fries to the air fryer and cook them at 400F for 12-15 minutes, shaking them half way through cooking. If you are using a smaller Air Fryer, cook them in two batches.
For the Honey-Chipotle Dip
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Store in the fridge until ready to use.
It’s important not to crowd the sweet potato fries or you’ll end up with soggy French fries.
If you enjoy a sweeter fry, sprinkle the sweet potato fries with a little brown sugar and cinnamon as soon as you remove them from the Air Fryer
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 679mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 4gSugar: 22gProtein: 6g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.