This easy Roast Tomato Mozzarella & Basil Appetizer is the perfect party recipe. It’s a delicious mix of roasted tomatoes, garlic and shallots baked and served with fresh mozzarella on crusty French bread crostini.
Roast Tomato Bruschetta
If you love the fresh flavors of bruschetta, you will adore this roast tomato mozzarella & basil appetizer. It has similar ingredients but even deeper and richer flavors from roasting the tomatoes with garlic and shallots and seasoned with red pepper flakes and fresh cracked black peppers.
Roasting tomatoes brings out the sweetness of tomatoes as well as the shallots. The flavors meld together beautifully and compliment the fresh mozzarella wonderfully. It’s all finished off with fresh herbs and served on crusty French bread. This is what appetizer dreams are made of!
Fresh Mozzarella Recipe
Fresh mozzarella is a light cheese that works wonderfully in this appetizer. If you really want to take it up a notch, you could use Burrata for an even richer appetizer! It wouldn’t serve as nicely on a crostini, but you could scoop it up with bread for amazing flavors.
How to make Roast Tomato Appetizer
All you need to make this easy appetizer is an oven, baking dish and 30 minutes! Whether you are hosting some friends and want a little food to serve with a cocktail.
The ingredients for this roasted tomato appetizer are fresh and simple. Here is what you will need,
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt & cracked black pepper
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Fresh mozzarella ball
- Fresh herbs (basil, parsley, chives)
- Toasted baguette, for serving
Place the cherry tomatoes in an 8×10 inch or 2 quart baking dish. A sheet pan will also work if you don’t have a small baking dish.
Smash the garlic cloves and slice the shallots. Add them to the pan with the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle the tomato mixture with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Roast them at 400F for 25 minutes, stirring halfway.
Extra Flavor Additions
- Add balsamic vinegar at the end of roasting for a Caprese-like flavor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to the tomato mixture after roasting for a creamier texture and more robust flavor.
How to serve tomato and mozzarella appetizer
Remove the tomatoes from the oven and place the fresh mozzarella ball in the center of the baking dish. If you want a cleaner presentation, place the mozzarella on a clean plate or serving dish and spoon the roasted tomato mixture around the mozzarella.
Top the tomatoes with chopped fresh herbs and serve with toasted baguette slices on the side. Store bought crostini will also work in a pinch.
How to use leftovers
If you happen to have some leftover tomato mixture, or you loved it so much that you want to make more and enjoy it in more ways, here are some great ideas!
- Spoon leftovers on grilled chicken, shrimp, steak, salmon, or asparagus.
- Add the roasted tomato mixture to a food processor for a quick sauce to use on pasta.
- Use leftovers on homemade pizza instead of pizza sauce. YUM!
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
More amazing cheese appetizers for a party!
If you love a good cheese appetizer to add a special touch to your next together, be sure to check out some of our favorites.
- 2 (10 oz) packs cherry tomatoes
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 8 ounce fresh mozzarella ball
- Fresh herbs (basil, parsley, chives), minced
- Toasted baguette, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the cherry tomatoes in an 8x10 inch or 2 quart baking dish.
- Peel and smash the garlic cloves and thinly slice the shallots. Add them to the pan with the tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle the tomato mixture with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Roast the tomatoes at 400°F for 25 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Remove them from the oven. Place the fresh mozzarella ball in the center of a plate and spoon the tomato mixture around the cheese.
- Top the tomatoes with chopped fresh herbs and serve with toasted baguette slices on the side.
Add balsamic vinegar at the end of roasting for a Caprese-like flavor.
Add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter to the tomato mixture after roasting for a creamier texture and more robust flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of tomatoes & cheese (no bread)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 186Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 556mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 11g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.