30 Minute Sausage Stuffed Pepper Skillet is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner recipe with rich flavors. Brown rice, fire roasted tomatoes, bell peppers and Italian sausage come together in a hearty and delicious meal.
Stuffed Pepper Skillet
Stuffed Pepper Skillet is a great way to enjoy the traditional flavors of Sausage Stuffed Peppers in an easy 30 minute skillet. If you are looking for a hearty recipe to serve your family on a weeknight, this meal is worth a try! Unlike classic stuffed peppers, the bell peppers are incorporated into the meal so they are more kid friendly.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
There is a reason Stuffed Peppers are such a classic favorite. The flavor combination of bell peppers, tomatoes and Italian Sausage is hearty and delicious one. From Stuffed Peppper Sausage Soup to smoked Traeger Stuffed Peppers, there are countless ways to enjoy the combo.
This easy 30 minute skillet takes all the work out of stuffing the peppers, but you still get the same great flavors in a family friendly recipe.
30 Minute Skillet Recipe
Thanks to easy ingredients like Minute brown rice, the time it takes to make dinner is less than 30 minutes. You can use white Minute rice, but be sure to reduce the cooking time because it cooks much faster.
If you are looking to lighten things up for a healthier recipe, Italian turkey sausage is a great substitution for the pork sausage. You could also use plain ground beef if it is what you have on hand, but you will loose some flavor. Add in a little crushed red pepper flake, Italian seasoning, fennel seed and garlic salt for similar flavors.
Sweet Bell Peppers
I’m not actually a huge fan of green bell peppers, which of course are the affordable ones. If you love green peppers, they would work great in this recipe.
My personal preference is for the red, yellow and orange varieties, with a sweeter flavor. They are more expensive, so I like buying bell peppers when they are on sale.
I dice the peppers up and freeze them in 1 cup portions in Ziploc bags. This works great for adding them to soups, skillets and other recipes and also cuts down on cooking time for quick weeknight dinners.
More great Stuffed Pepper Recipes!
- Light Chipotle Chicken & Rice Stuffed Peppers
- Mediterranean Lamb & Couscous Stuffed Peppers
- Low Carb Southwest Stuffed Peppers
- Grilled Tex Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 bell peppers (your choice of colors), diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 2/3 c. brown Minute rice uncooked
- 14.5 oz. can beef broth
- 15 oz. jar marinara
- 14.5 oz. jar fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 oz. Provolone cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the sausage for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the diced onion, garlic and bell peppers to the pan and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the beef broth, marinara, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in the Minute rice and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, cover and cook on low for 10-12 minutes. Stir half way through to ensure it doesn't burn on the bottom.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 1443mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 23g