Light Chipotle Chicken & Rice Stuffed Peppers are loaded with lean ground chicken, brown rice, black beans, corn and chipotle salsa and are topped with melted cheddar and crunchy tortilla chips!
I don’t know about you, but I stuffed myself silly over this holiday weekend with wonderful foods like burgers, chips, potato salad, desserts and more! I did bring my Light creamy grape salad to our family gathering for a lighter option, but there was just too much goodness to resist.
But on the bright side, I got lots of exercise during our Summer Olympics. Whether we were splaying slosh ball on a baseball field, chugging beers at second (that doesn’t negate the running does it?) and sliding into home on a slip-and-slide, or we were fighting to the death over wheel barrel races, we definitely got our fare share of activity and healthy competition in for the weekend. (Ok, I don’t know how healthy our family’s competition is, seeing we are a bit over the top, but we’ll just say it was a healthy ‘dose’ of competition 😉 )
Now that the holiday and the given indulgences are behind us, it is time to find some healthy and flavorful dishes to clean up our eating! These Light Chipotle Chicken & Rice Stuffed Peppers are just that. They are loaded with flavor and a surprise crunch from tortilla chips crumbled on top. You wouldn’t even guess they are healthy, but all of the veggies, lean chicken and Greek yogurt make these puppies the perfect weeknight dinner you can feel good about.
- 3 bell peppers
- ½ lb. lean ground chicken, turkey or beef
- ½ yellow onion diced
- ⅔ c. brown rice cooked
- ½ c. corn
- ½ c. black beans
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 can 16oz Carlita chipotle salsa (or any regular salsa)
- ¾ c. shredded cheese
- ¾ c. tortilla chips crushed
- Nonfat Greek Yogurt - optional
- Chopped cilantro - optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Cut your bell peppers lengthwise and remove all of the seeds. Place peppers cut side down on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saute pan sprayed with non-stick spray, add diced onions. Cook for a few minutes until tender and add chicken. With a wooden spoon break up the chicken so it is crumbled into small pieces.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, add the rice, salsa, corn, black beans and spices and remove from the heat.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray and arrange the bell pepper halves, cut side up. Spoon the meat and rice mixture into the peppers and top with 2 Tbsp shredded cheese and then 2 Tbsp crushed tortilla chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°. Remove from oven and serve warm with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
21 Day Fix Approved Recipe – 1/3 Red, 2/3 Green, 2/3 Yellow, 1/2 Blue