Rhubarb Custard Oatmeal Bars are a fun twist on a favorite summer treat. Fresh rhubarb and custard are layered with chewy oatmeal layers for a dessert that everyone will love!
Rhubarb Custard Oatmeal Bars
Rhubarb has a short season, but while it is around in the garden, I can’t get enough of it! Rhubarb Custard Pie is an all-time favorite of mine and these Rhubarb Streusel Muffins are a divine balance of tart rhubarb and sweetness! The only downfall with the pie is that it doesn’t store or travel well. This isn’t usually a problem though, because it often disappears well before I have to worry about it going bad.
I combined two of my favorite desserts into one deliciously sweet treat, these Rhubarb Custard Oatmeal Bars. I started with the oatmeal base for these Peanut Butter & Chocolate Dream Bars and added the best part of Rhubarb Custard Pie, the rhubarb and custard obviously!
My husband is also a huge fan of all things rhubarb, so I couldn’t wait to share this decadent dessert with him. He isn’t used to me making too many desserts around the house, so when he came home to a fresh pan of bars he was one happy camper. As he dug into the dessert, he exclaimed that these were perfection!
Am I the only one who holds their breath awaiting feedback of their new creations from the picky eaters in their family? If I get negative feedback I just tell him to go fly a kite, but if he sings it’s praises I know it is really good. He doesn’t often like new things, so it is always a serious win.
- 3/4 c. butter, softened
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. quick oats
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 c. ruhubarb, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and brown sugar for a minute. Add the flour, quick oats, baking soda and salt. Mix until well combined and press half the mixture into a sprayed 9x13 pan. Set the remaining oatmeal mixture aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and add the sweetened condensed milk and mix until well combined.
- Top the oatmeal layer with rhubarb and cover with the eggs mixture. Top with the remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes. Allow to rest for 1 hour before serving and store refrigerated.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g