Fig & Orange Chicken Asparagus Bake is an easy and healthy one pot recipe with fresh and flavorful ingredients. Oranges, ginger and goat cheese compliment the tender chicken breasts and asparagus for a wholesome gluten-free meal you will love.
Fig & Orange Chicken Asparagus Bake
I have been obsessed with the combination of figs and goat cheese lately. You know I am always in love with all things goat cheese, but figs compliment the creamy cheese especially well. Unfortunately for me I don’t have access to fresh figs anywhere near me, so I have to use the next best thing, fig spread. I know it isn’t the same, but it still adds a nice robust flavor to this low-carb Fig & Orange Chicken Asparagus Bake.
Other ingredients I have been using as a convenient alternative to the fresh stuff, is herbs and spices. Gourmet Garden generously sent me a bunch of their lightly dried herbs and stir-in pastes. Living in a small town in the middle of nowhere, sometimes it is impossible to access the fresh options, so having a full herb and spice collection in my fridge that lasts for months is amazing!
I use the chunky garlic stir-in paste all the time and the ginger isn’t far behind. For this dish, instead of buying fresh ginger and grating it, I used the easy and convenient stir-in paste with all the same great flavors.
This Fig & Orange Chicken Asparagus Bake is literally as easy as throwing everything in a dish and baking it for 30 minutes. You really can’t beat that for a fresh and healthy weeknight meal. The best part of all, is that it makes for great leftovers to pack for lunch at work!
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/3 c. fig spread
- 1 tsp. ginger stir-in paste
- pinch of salt
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 orange, sliced
- 4 oz. honey goat cheese, optional
- In a large resealable bag, combine the orange juice, fig spread, ginger and salt. Mix until well combined and reserve 1/3 c. of the liquid for later. Add the chicken breasts to the remaining marinade and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. (The longer you marinate it, the more flavor will be absorbed by the chicken.)
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Trim the ends of the asparagus off and layer it on the bottom of the dish. Pour the reserved 1/3 c. liquid over the asparagus. Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and discard the remaining marinade.
- Top the asparagus with the chicken and orange slices. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with goat cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g