This easy Overnight English Muffin Breakfast Casserole is a healthy recipe perfect for brunch or meal prepping for the week. Whole grain English muffins are topped with leftover ham, Parmesan, cheddar, Greek yogurt and spices for the perfect bite of morning eggs.
Ham & Cheese Egg Bake
Our family absolutely loves egg bakes and they are served at every brunch when we get together. This traditional Jimmy Dean Breakfast Casserole is our usual go-to, but sometimes we like to change it up. This English Muffin breakfast casserole made with leftover ham is a healthier version of the classic and oh so good!
Breakfast Casserole Meal Prep
This cheesy ham and egg bake actually outshined the sausage for me and now I love to make one for the week and have an easy breakfast in minutes that I can pop in the microwave. It is protein packed and filled with whole grains.
The only way to make it even better would be to add some veggies in it for a complete meal. Some chopped baby spinach would be a fantastic option!
Breakfast casseroles are a fantastic meal prep recipe because they taste just as good microwaved the next day. Unlike so many recipes that loose their flavor or texture when re-heated, egg casseroles are fantastic!
How to Make English Muffin Egg Bake
To get started, gather your ingredients. Here is what you will need,
- Whole grain English muffins
- Diced ham or Canadian bacon
- Skim milk
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt (full fat plain yogurt or sour cream can be substituted)
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Ground mustard
- Garlic powder
What kind of cheese to use
Freshly grated cheese is always my favorite as it melts up so much better than the bagged shredded cheese. As for which cheese to use, the possibilities are endless. A sharp cheddar is always a great option, but gouda, Havarti, or any semi-hard cheese would work well.
I actually made this once with a block of chipotle cheddar and it was phenomenal! I refuse to make it any other way now. The little bit of spice to go with the ham, cheese and eggs was perfection.
If you don’t can’t find any chipotle cheddar in your grocery store, you could add a 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder to your egg mixture for a nice hint of smoky spice.
Can I use different bread?
Absolutely. You can use white English muffins if that’s what you have on hand. We just like using light wheat English Muffins because you don’t notice any difference in texture, so it’s simply a great way to get in extra fiber and whole grains and minimize calories.
Any stale bread will work. You will want to use about 2 cups of cubed dry bread if you are swapping it for English Muffins.
Assembling Breakfast Casserole
Layer English Muffins & Ham – Spray a 9×13 pan with non-stick pan spray. Split the English muffins in half and layer half of them in the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the ham and then the remaining English muffins. Top with the remaining ham, Parmesan and shredded cheese.
Mix Eggs – In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, garlic and ground mustard. Whisk until they are well combined. Pour the mixture over the muffins, ham and cheese.
Rest Overnight – Cover the pan with saran wrap and place in the refrigerator. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Do I have to let it sit overnight?
Nope! If you allow the breakfast casserole to refrigerate for 2 hours, the eggs will absorb into the bread and you will get the same great texture. It’s simply a convenience that you can allow this recipe to rest overnight so you can make an early morning breakfast without getting up early to whip it up.
How long to bake egg casserole?
Bake – When you are ready to make your egg casserole the next morning, preheat your oven to 350°F. Place your casserole in the oven and bake uncovered for 60-75 minutes, or until the center of the eggs are set. If the cheese around the edges start to get brown, cover the pan with some tinfoil.
Rest – Allow the eggs to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. This allows the eggs to completely set before you cut into it. Egg casserole stays very hot, so if you are planning your brunch oven space, you can let this sit for up to 20 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! – Take a slice and enjoy the simple but delicious egg bake with so much goodness. Add some veggies or a side to your plate for a well-rounded healthy meal packed with protein.
How to store leftovers
Cover the casserole and store refrigerated for up to 6 days. Alternatively, you can portion out the pieces of egg casserole in meal prep containers for an easy grab and go breakfast to bring to work.
Reheat a slice of breakfast casserole by slicing in half on a plate and microwaving for 90 seconds.
What to serve with egg bake?
This Overnight English Muffin Casserole has all the protein you will need for breakfast or brunch, but it could use some fresh fruit and veggies to go along with it for a compete meal. Here are some of my favorite sides to pair with it,
- Roasted Caesar Asparagus – Ham and cheese go great with a big side of Caesar with a homemade Greek yogurt dressing.
- Quinoa Beet & Orange Salad – Get your veggies and fruit all in one healthy salad!
- Winter Fruit & Goat Cheese Salad – This combination of citrus fruits and creamy goat cheese is SO GOOD.
- Roasted Carrot & Honey Feta Salad – For more of the lunch side of brunch, pair this veggies salad with the egg bake.
- 6 wheat English muffins
- 2 1/2 cups diced ham (or Canadian bacon)
- 10 Eggs
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut English Muffins in half and layer 6 halves on bottom of pan. Top with half of the ham and the remaining English muffins.
- Top with the Parmesan cheese and shredded cheddar.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, Greek yogurt, milk, garlic powder, ground mustard, salt and pepper until will combined. Pour the eggs over the ham and English muffins.
- Cover the pan and refrigerated for at least 2 hours or up to 18 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered for 60-75 minutes, or until the eggs in the center are set.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Use chipotle cheddar cheese for a little kick. Alternatively add 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder for a little smoky spice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 234mgSodium: 847mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 27g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.