Tarragon Vegetable & Goat Cheese Gratin is a healthy side dish with flavor and texture abound. Pea sprouts, shallots, mushrooms, tomatoes, white wine and goat cheese all together with a panko bread crumb crust for a delicious vegetarian dish!
Tarragon Vegetable & Goat Cheese Gratin
I am heading to Germany today to spend the week with my host-family. My host-sister Alex is getting married this Saturday to a wonderful guy and I couldn’t be more excited for her! The husband is staying home holding down the farm and he was bummed he wasn’t able to make the trip. He traveled with me to Germany in college to visit them and was hoping to go back some day.
Unfortunately Alex picked a September wedding date, so that is a no-go in the farming world. When we first got the invitation, my husband got excited because it read 05.09.15. In his mind that meant May 9th and that was a good time to travel. He forgot that the European system switches the month and day around…
I can’t lie though, part of me is excited to make this trip alone. My German used to be fluent back in the day when I was an exchange student in High School, but in the 13 years since then, it has really deteriorated. I can form sentences, but I have forgotten so much of the vocabulary that it is really a struggle.
When I bring friends and family with, none of which speak German, it is a constant battle of them wanting me to translate everything. It is painful for me, not only because I’m just impatient with it, but because I am trying to concentrate my hardest just to understand what they are saying in the first place!
I really wish that German was a language utilized somewhat in this country, but sadly it isn’t. The only time I get practice is when my family and I message each other back and forth. It usually consists of me writing in English though and them responding in German. We are all stubborn, just one of the many things we have in common! 😉
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 oz. Cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 c. peas
- 1 c. pea sprouts or baby spinach
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, I used yellow, but red would work the same
- 1/4 c. white wine
- 3 oz. garlic herb soft style goat cheese
- 1/2 c. 2% milk
- 5 sprigs tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
- 1/3 c. panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- In a medium skillet, heat your olive oil and add the shallot, garlic and mushrooms, cooking it for 3-4 minutes. Add the peas, pea sprouts, tomatoes and tarragon and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the white wine and cook for 30-60 seconds.
- In a separate bowl whisk the milk, pepper and goat cheese and fold into the vegetables.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, toss the melted butter with the panko bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Top the vegetable mixture with the panko mixture and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400° until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
More great side dishes!