Pumpkin Bars with cream cheese frosting are an easy and delicious fall dessert recipe with a light and airy pumpkin spice sheet cake topped with decadent homemade frosting!
Moist Pumpkin Cake Bars
With the weather cooling off, its the perfect excuse to make these pumpkin cake bars with a rich cream cheese frosting. It’s an old recipe that my family has been making for generations, but withstands the test of time.
A light and airy cake like bar is topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting for a decadent dessert perfect for fall.
Easy Dessert for a Crowd
My Mom will often make these Pumpkin Bars when family is coming home or the guys are heading out hunting for a weekend. It makes such a large pan, that it is great for a crowd or large family gathering.
The cake in these pumpkin bars is moist and firm enough to hold up to eating these with your hands. Just serve them up with a napkin and you have an easy treat for a crowd.
Another popular pumpkin recipe with our family is this Pumpkin Cheesecake. While cheesecakes sound intimidating to some people, they are incredibly simple to make. They are also fantastic desserts for a crowd because a thin slice of the rich cheesecake goes a long ways.
Can I use a cake mix?
While it is tempting to look for a recipe for Pumpkin Cake Bars that uses a cake mix, I promise you these are just as easy and will taste a million times better. Moreover, they won’t dry out and become stale so quickly.
By time you add the extra ingredients to the cake mix, it is no more work to just measure out the basic pantry ingredients like flour, sugar, oil, etc. to make these Easy Pumpkin Bars.
What if I don’t have all the spices?
If you don’t keep a well stocked spice cabinet, it is possible you may not have cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
If this is the case and you don’t want to have to buy some spices that you may not use again, simply substitute 1 Tablespoon pumpkin pie mix for all of the spices. By purchasing pumpkin pie spice you will only have to buy one small container.
What is pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin Pie spice typically contains ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Sometimes it will include allspice as well.
If you do decided to pick up a jar of pumpkin spice, here are some more sweet and savory seasonal recipes that are a great way to use it.
Thanksgiving Dessert Alternative
Are you the odd man out who isn’t a big fan of traditional pumpkin pie for your holiday dessert or maybe you just don’t like the pain of making a Homemade Pie Crust?
These Pumpkin Cake Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are a great alternative!
Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes
If you are looking for more holiday dessert recipes that are an easy way to impress your guests, check out some of these sweet treats!
- Pressure Cooker Apple Crisp – If you don’t have any oven space left, this is a great way to make this classic dessert!
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars – Get all the goodness of a creamy pumpkin pie in these easy bars with a crust you don’t have to roll out!
- Caramel Apple Pecan Monkey Bread – This recipe is a sweet treat perfect for dessert or brunch!
- Pumpkin Mousse Dip with Pie Crust Dippers – This snackable treat is great for dessert or grazing throughout the holiday.
- Mini Raisin Bread Pudding with Whisky Sauce – Liven up your holiday dessert spread with this traditional dessert.
- Cranberry Upside Down Cake – Put a tart winter spin on the classic cake!
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese softened
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 c. milk
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, oil, sugar, and pumpkin.
- Add the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a greased and floured half sheet pan (12"x18").
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and continue beating until smooth. Spread evenly over the cooled bars.
OPTIONAL: Dust the top of the bars with a bit of freshly ground nutmeg and or cinnamon for a finishing touch.
*You can substitute canned cream cheese frosting in a pinch.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 463Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 289mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 1gSugar: 49gProtein: 4g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.