Provolone Stuffed Pesto Meatball Skillet is a hearty dinner made with classic Italian flavors. Provolone cheese is stuffed inside lean hamburger and simmered in marinara for a healthy family friendly dinner idea.
Provolone Stuffed Pesto Meatball Skillet
Growing up I can rarely remember my mother making meatballs for dinner. It just wasn’t in her repertoire. Perhaps it was a bit too time consuming with a job and 4 children to manage? In the last couple years, I have grown very fond of meatballs for a heart dinner idea that reheats wonderfully for leftovers. From Crock Pot Buffalo Turkey Meatballs to this Greek Meatball and Veggie Skillet, you can add so much great flavors into a meatball dish.
The key for me to a great meatball is that caramelized crust on the outside. Popping them in a hot skillet with oil to brown them up before simmering them in the marinara sauce adds great flavor and texture. Whether I am making meatballs in the Crock Pot, Instant Pot or on the stove top, I think it is important to saute them before baking or slow cooking.
Meatballs might not be the quickest and easiest dinner on the menu for the week, but they are most likely one of the family’s favorites! They really aren’t that much work if you are willing to get your hands dirty. Toss everything in a bowl, mix it up and use a scoop to form your meatballs. I like to use a #24 1.5 oz. scoop for making meatballs for a good size.
Using a scoop also makes it easier to stuff them with cheese. Simply push the cube of cheese into the scoop full of meat and press the extra meat that pops out around the cheese. Easy peasy!
Serve the meatballs with a side of pasta or rice or simply enjoy them with some roasted veggies for a low-carb dinner.
- 1 lb. lean hamburger
- 1/4 c. old fashion oats
- 1/4 c. pesto
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. diced onions
- 1 tsp. diced garlic
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. block of provolone cheese, cut in 1/4" cubes
- 1/3 c. red wine
- 1 jar favorite marinara sauce
- Fresh Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, using your hands, combine the hamburger, oats, pesto, egg, onion, garlic and salt.
- Using a #24 1.5 oz. scoop, scoop up the meat mixture. Press one 1/4 inch cube of provolone deep into the center of the scooped meat. Push the excess meat over the cheese to enclose it well. Roll with your hands and place on a sheet of parchment paper. Continue until all of the meatballs have been formed.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the olive oil. Swirl it around until it covers the bottom and then add the meatballs.
- Saute the meatballs for 2 minutes on each side. Remove the meatballs and place on a clean sheet of parchment paper.
- Add the red wine to the pan and and using wooden spatula, scrape off the bits of browned on goodness. Add the jar of marinara to the pan and nestle the meatballs back into the pan.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with shaved Parmesan.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g