Mini Apple & Browned Butter Tarts are a perfectly light treat with great fall flavors! This dessert includes a flaky pie crust topped with apples and pecans and finished off with decadent browned butter for a bite-sized sweet, perfect for holiday parties.
Mini Apple & Browned Butter Tarts
This dessert combines so many of my favorite things! From the flaky pie crust as a base to the tart apples smothered in rich browned butter, it doesn’t get much better than this! I started making these Mini Apple & Browned Butter Tarts years ago as a more presentable way to serve apple pie. I like to serve appetizers and bite-sized desserts at holiday parties and these were the perfect way to incorporate the great flavors of pie into a small bite. The browned butter is something I added more recently, which gives it an extra layer of flavor that is absolute perfection!
I love how the thin slices of apple form a rosette of sorts and make for a beautiful presentation. You can peel your apples…or be lazy like myself and slice them with the peel still on. Either way they will taste great, but the peel actually gives more of a visual effect that I like. If you want to make these even easier, you could skip browning your butter, but that really adds some amazing flavor to the dessert. If you have had browned butter, you know that it adds amazing flavor to EVERYTHING!
When I first started making browned butter, I would make the rookie mistake of getting rid of the brown bits at the bottom of the butter. Later on, I learned that is where most of the toasty rich flavor comes from. So don’t make the same mistake I did, and be sure to use all of the browned butter to spread over these little sweet treats!
- 1 batch pie dough, double crust
- 6 Tbsp. salted butter
- 2 large tart apples
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/3 c. pecan pieces
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 375°.
- Roll your pie crust out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8" thick. Using a large glass or round cookie cutter, cut out as many 4"-5" circles as possible. (It will likely yield 13-15) Place the pie crust rounds on a non-stick cookie sheet and refrigerate while you prepare the apples and butter.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, cook the butter for 4-5 minutes until browned. (Watch closely because it quickly goes from browned to burnt!) Once browned, immediately remove from the heat.
- Cut the apples into very thin slices and add them to a medium bowl. Toss with the lemon juice so they don't brown. Add the browned butter to the bowl and toss until all of the apple slices are well coated.
- Arrange the apple slices in a rosette pattern over each pie crust round. Top each tart with 1 teaspoon pecans. In a small bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon and salt. Sprinkle the top of each tart with 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes, or until the pie crusts are golden brown. Allow to cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container for up to 12 hours or refrigerated for any longer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g