Whether you are heading back to school soon and need to pack a lunch or are just looking for new ideas to pack for work, Light Ranch BLT Chicken Salad Sandwiches make a fantastic lunch that is healthy and loaded with flavor. The best part of this sandwich is that it doesn’t even taste light. Feed it to your husband or that family member that turns up their nose at anything “healthy” and I guarantee they won’t be able to tell that it isn’t loaded with fat and calories!
If you are anything like me, you struggle to plan ahead for lunches. I usually have the best intentions of making something great to bring to work the next day, but then after a long day I am tired and it gets pushed to the side. That is why I love a few great lunch go-to’s like this sandwich, that I can whip up in less than 10 minutes and have a fantastic lunch at work prepped for a few days.
Try not be like me and forget half of your lunch on the way out the door though. I got to work and was throwing my delicious chicken salad in the refrigerator as I noticed that I forgot bread. Woops! This is nothing new with me, so I took it in stride. I grabbed a bag of baked chips from the vending machine and enjoyed my chicken salad all on its own, without the great whole grain bread I bought just to go with it.
It really was fantastic on its own, which made me think it would be good in lettuce cups for a lower carb option. I personally, quite enjoy my carbs though, so that is why I was sure to grab some chips to go with it. Another thing that was also very evident, was that the flavors were even better the next day for lunch, than the night before when I mixed it up. The bacon and onion had a chance to settle in and meld with the rest of the chicken salad for a robust flavor. I just love a recipe that makes even better leftovers the next day!
Light Ranch BLT Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1/4 c. light mayo
- 1/4 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. djjon
- 1 Tbsp. ranch seasoning
- 1.5 c. chicken cooked and cubed
- 3/4 c. chopped tomatoes
- 1/3 c. bacon pieces cooked
- 1/2 c. green onions diced
- 8 slices wheat bread
- lettuce for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, yogurt, dijon and ranch seasoning until well combined. To that add the chicken, tomatoes, bacon and green onion. Stir until evenly coated. Store refrigerated for 1-2 hours before serving for the best flavors.
- Serve with whole grain bread and lettuce for a great sandwich. For a lower carb option, serve in lettuce cups for an equally satisfying lunch.
More healthy lunch ideas!