Jalapeno Cornbread Crusted Shrimp Tostadas are a perfect little meal, with a crispy tostada topped with creamy avocado, cornbread crusted shrimp and queso fresco, to make a well rounded meal that is loaded with flavor.
I am a little obsessed with tostadas lately. I first enjoyed them with buffalo chicken and sweet corn and have continued to put my pack of tostadas to good use. It’s such a fun and easy way to enjoy a simple meal.
I saw this pack of cornbread jalapeno crackers and immediately thought that they would make a fantastic breading. I initially thought of chicken, but then thought I would change up my routine and grabbed some jumbo shrimp. It was a great decision, as the crunchy breading with a hint of jalapeno spice was perfect on the shrimp, and were wonderful on the tostada with creamy avocado and queso fresco.
You can be well mannered and eat them with a fork, or you can be like me and make it simple and pick them up with both hands and enjoy them finger food style. The kids will love it!
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp peeled deveined
- 1 c. jalapeno cornbread crackers
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- 4 to stadas
- 1/4 c. red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 non-fat plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1/3 c. queso fresco or feta
- 1/2 c. cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 avocados
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp. garlic
- 2 Tbsp. jalapeno diced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. tomatoes diced
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- In a ziplock back, add your cornbread crackers and crush with a rolling pin or meat mallet until only small crumbs remain. Alternatively, you can add them to a food processor and pulse a few times until you reach the desired consistency.
- In three bowls, pour crumbs into one, add the beaten egg to another and the flour to the last.
- Rinse and pat dry your peeled and deveined shrimp. Coat each one in flour, then egg and lastly cracker crumbs. Place the coated shrimp on a lined baking sheet and spray the breaded shrimp with non-stick spray. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your cubed avocado, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, cumin and salt to a bowl and mash until smooth. Fold in your tomatoes and spread each tostada with a generous helping of avocado mixture.
- When your shrimp are opaque on the inside and cooked through, remove from the oven and place them on top of the avocado mixture. Garnish the top of the shrimp with finely diced red onion, queso fresco and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
This recipe may be shared on the following sites:
Tatertots & Jello