Healthy Crock Pot Jalapeno, Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup is an easy and delicious dinner you can throw in the Crock Pot for a couple of hours and have a healthy and complete meal on the table!
With all of the rain we got last weekend, our lawn has been growing like crazy. I hate mowing the lawn, because it takes a few hours to mow all 5 acres, even with a high powered tractor mower. I would much prefer a dry, brown grass that doesn’t grow. 🙂
Last weekend, I had too much going on to get around to taking care of the lawn, so I had to do it after work. This Crock Pot soup was the perfect solution for dinner with chores to take care of. I got home after work and threw the ingredients in the Crock Pot and could leave it to cook while I went outside to take care of the lawn.
I finished mowing the lawn after a couple of hours and came inside to the wafting smell of creamy sweet corn, jalapenos and tender chicken ready to gobble up for a easy and healthy dinner!
Healthy Crock Pot Jalapeno, Chicken & Sweet Corn Soup
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 2/3 c. skim milk divided
- 1 2/3 c. chicken broth divided
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast
- 2 c. diced onions frozen or fresh
- 2 c. sweet corn kernels can substitute frozen corn
- 1/2 c. pre-cooked bacon crumbled
- 4 oz. goat cheese can substitute light cream cheese
- cilantro for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add your butter and flour and whisk together for a few seconds until combined, it will be a little crumbly at this stage. Immediately start to add 2/3 c. milk gradually, whisking well after each small addition until it is smooth and creamy. Let cook for a couple minutes until it becomes noticeably thickened, then add 2/3 c. chicken broth, paprika and cumin. Whisk until smooth and heat on high for 4-6 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-6 qt. Crock Pot, add jalapeno, raw chicken breasts, onions, corn, bacon and remaining milk and chicken broth. Add the thickened milk mixture to the Crock Pot and stir to combine well.
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 hours until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the cubed goat cheese about 10 minutes before serving so it has a chance to melt.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite size pieces. Serve warm garnished with cilantro.
This recipe is shared on The Country Cook.