This German Potato Salad is a simple and delicious side dish that is great served warm or chilled. Potatoes are marinated in a beef broth and onion mixture and tossed with fresh chives and a splash of lemon juice for a lighter potato salad recipe you will love.
German Potato Salad
I have always grown up with the rich and creamy potato salad recipes that most Americans enjoy throughout the summer. This German Potato Salad is a departure from what most of us think of as potato salad. It is for me anyways. There is no mayonnaise and the potatoes are dressed with nothing more than a beef broth, Dijon and onion mixture and is finished off with chives and lemon juice for a bit of freshness.
I adore the simplicity of this German potato salad and not only because it is healthier than your typical potato salad. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good American potato salad loaded with mayonnaise and mustard as much as the next guy, but sometimes it’s nice to change things up with a lighter side dish. Serve it up with some grilled bratwursts, ribs or any cut of meat you desire. It is a good clean dish that will pair well with just about anything!
My host-sister Alex’s husband Rene served this German Potato Salad for dinner during our last vacation to Germany. He used this Fränkischer Kartoffelsalat recipe and added the citrus twist which I loved. It just takes it up a notch and really brightens up all of the flavors. While lemon in a potato salad isn’t something you would typically associate with German food, it was done by Germans, so it counts in my book! 😉
Now if only I could get back to Germany to visit without the LONG flight. I just can’t imagine doing that with two babies, so unfortunately it’s probably going to be a couple years before I see my host-family again.
- 2 lb. red or yukon potatoes
- 1/2 c. beef broth
- 1/2 c. finely diced onion
- 6 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. diced chives
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain the potatoes and rinse them under cold water to stop the cooking. Peel and chop the potatoes and place them in a medium bowl.
- Add the beef broth, vinegar, sugar, dijon, salt and pepper to a small saucepan. Heat just until it comes to a boil and pour over the potatoes. Allow the salad to rest for 20 minutes while potatoes soak up some of the excess liquid.
- Before serving, toss with the fresh lemon juice and chopped chives.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g