Buttery Tuna Rice Muffins are a healthy and delicious recipe perfect for a quick 30 minute weeknight dinner. Tuna cakes are made in muffin tins with brown rice, sharp cheddar cheese and a savory lemon butter sauce for amazing flavor.
Buttery Tuna Rice Muffins are a fantastic recipe I got from my Mom. She makes these when I was a child on a regular basis during lent, but they really are a great meal any time!
I will admit that as a child I turned my nose up at just about anything tuna. I ate them because in our house we didn’t have a choice other than eating dinner or starving. But I can’t say I enjoyed them tremendously.
Easy Pantry Recipe
I was wanting to share some Easy Rice Recipes using pantry staples and remembered these Tuna Muffins that my Mom loves so much. I made them thinking that I would just send them to her house when I was done, but after trying them again as an adult I had a major change of heart.
These Buttery Tuna Rice Muffins are flipping fantastic! The savory mix of seasoning salt, cheddar and tuna topped with the parsley lemon sauce is phenomenal.
Meal Prep Recipe
Now if you are like my Mom, you may want to double the lemon butter sauce. She likes to have a little extra when she makes them for just herself and my Dad so she can add extra butter sauce when she reheats them.
The fact that these Tuna Muffins reheat so well is just another great aspect of this recipe. Make a double batch and enjoy the for a couple meals throughout the week or even freeze them for great meal prep.
Tuna Muffin Recipe Variations
There are a few variations to this Tuna Rice Muffin recipe that you can make based on your preferences. The recipe actually calls for an optional 3/4 cup sliced olives. If you are a big fan of olives that is another great flavor you can add to these tuna cakes.
You can also swap out the tuna for salmon. Canned salmon would make a great substitution in this recipe for something a little different.
I used brown rice because it is healthier and what I have on hand, but white rice or even a wild rice blend would all be great options in this tuna muffin recipe as well.
More Healthy Tuna Recipes!
- Mediterranean Quinoa Tuna Cakes
- Keto Tuna Salad Stuffed Avocados
- Mexican Tuna Zucchini Boats
- Avocado Chickpea Tuna Salad
- Egg Avocado Tuna Salad Sandwich
- 2 c. cooked rice
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (6.5oz) tuna, drained
- 1 Tbsp. onion flakes
- 1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. seasoning salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 3/4 c. sliced olives, OPTIONAL
Lemon Butter Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/8 tsp. parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the tuna muffin ingredients, mixing until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between 6 greased muffin cups. Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes until lightly golden brown on the top. Finish them under the broiler for a couple minutes if you want a crispier top.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine all of the Lemon Butter Sauce ingredients.
- Top the cooked tuna muffins with lemon butter sauce and enjoy!
Instead of making these into muffins, you can add all of the tuna mixture to a greased 1.5 quart casserole dish and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Double the lemon butter sauce if you want them extra buttery!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.