These Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats are the best rice krispies you will ever eat! This simple 4 ingredient recipe is transformed into something extra special in just a matter of minutes by browning the butter until it is toasty and nutty.
Best Rice Krispies
If you grew up with Rice Krispies like most of us did as kids, you are no stranger to the simple but delicious combination of marshmallows, butter and toasted rice cereal. Its an easy no-bake treat that is a classic dessert. When it comes to flavors it is light and simple. Best of all, it only takes 15 minutes to whip up!
Rice Krispies are such a simple and unassuming ingredients, but they can be turned into something quite amazing. These Crunchy Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars are the perfect example!
Unique Rice Krispie Treats
For these Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats, we added one 5 minute step to transform them into a treat that adults will be begging for more of! By cooking the butter for a few minutes until it becomes a toasty brown color with a delicious nutty flavor, it adds a depth of flavor like nothing else can.
The rich browned butter paired with the sweet marshmallows and the crunch from the Rice Krispies is absolute perfection. If you love your sweet and salty treats, add a sprinkle of flaked sea salt to the top of the bars before cooling them and you will be in heaven!
How to Brown Butter
Browning butter only takes a few minutes, but it’s important that you keep a close eye on it and don’t attempt to multi-task. Focus on the color of the butter and you will have the perfect golden brown nutty butter for your Rice Krispie Bars.
In a large kettle, melt the butter over medium heat, whisking occasionally. The butter will start to foam and then begin to brown after 3-4 minutes. When you smell the nutty butter flavor and it has turned an even brown color, add your marshmallows and lower the heat to low.
It’s important not to overcook the butter or the fats will quickly burn and you will have to start over with a new stick of butter. It’s a fine line between browned butter Rick Krispies and burnt butter treats.
Stir the marshmallows constantly until they are completely melted and mix in a splash of vanilla extract. Add the toasted rice cereal and stir until well combined.
Tips for making the best Rice Krispie Treats
When making Rice Krispies, you want to work relatively quickly once the marshmallows are melted. They will begin to cool quickly and set up, so you want to get them into a buttered pan as soon as all the ingredients are well mixed.
Here are just a few suggestions that will make your life easier and result in the best rice krispie treats.
- Generously butter your 9×13 pan on the bottom and sides. This helps avoid sticking, so your bars slide right out of the pan.
- Measure out your toasted rice cereal before you get started. This way it is ready to go when your marshmallows are melted so your sugar doesn’t overcook.
- Use a large kettle that will easily accommodate all the ingredients so you only have to use one pot to make these easy no bake treats.
- Oil or butter your hands generously while pressing the rice krispie treats into the greased pan. Continue to add additional butter to your hands as they become sticky. We are making yummy chewy treats that will want to stick to your hands if they aren’t properly greased.
- Be sure to firmly press the mixture into the pan. If you leave it loose, the bars will fall apart and not stick together well. This will lead to them drying out quickly.
- Pop your treats in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool them down quickly so you can steal a treat ASAP! Use a sharp knife to cut all the bars right out of the refrigerator for nice clean cuts.
- Store any leftover bars in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Fun ideas for serving rice krispie treats
These brown butter rice krispie treats are amazing all on their own and need no additional effort, besides sitting back with a tall glass of water and savoring every last bite.
If you are looking to transform these extra special rice krispies into a holiday treat or something unique, here are a few fun ideas,
- If your bars start to get a bit stale, head into the backyard and pop a rice krispie treat on a roasting stick and toast over a campfire with the kids for a couple minutes until it is soft and has a little bit of char on it.
- Add a popsicle stick to the center of each square, making a popsicle treat and dip half of the treat in melted chocolate. Let them cool on parchment paper until the chocolate is set.
- In the winter, transform your rice krispies into a sweet holiday snack mix along side these cute chocolate and pretzel reindeer.
- Serve these sweet and salty treats with chocolate fondue for an unforgettable dessert spread.
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 (10 oz) bags mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 cups toasted rice cereal
- Butter a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a large kettle, melt butter over medium heat, whisking occasionally. The butter will start to foam and then begin to brown after 3-4 minutes. When you smell the nutty butter flavor and it has turned an even brown color, add your marshmallows and lower the heat to low.
- Stir the marshmallows vigorously until they are melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold the toasted rice cereal into the melted marshmallows until everything is well combined.
- Using buttered hands, press the mixture into the greased pan.
- Cool in the refrigerator before cutting for clean square cuts. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If storing in layers, place parchment paper between each layer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 0gSugar: 18gProtein: 1g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.