These easy Smash Gyros made on your Blackstone griddle or cast iron are loaded with flavor and crispy goodness! Mediterranean spiced lamb is smashed on a pita and topped with hummus, tzatziki, feta and a fresh cucumber tomato salad come together for a delicious 20 minute dinner recipe!
Lamb Smash Gyros
These Smash Gyros are a twist on one of my favorite dishes, lamb gyros. My love for gyros was born when I lived in Europe above an authentic Greek restaurant. The first time I had caramelized lamb topped with extra tzatziki, I was hooked for life!
I order gyros every chance I can get, but that isn’t often with how far Greek restaurants are from my small town. These Lamb Smash Gyros are a great alternative that I can make at home in just 20 minutes!
Blackstone Smash Gyros
Most of us don’t have regular access to Doner Kebab, which is the wonderful contraption in Greek restaurants that turns the meat slowly and caramelizes every bite of meat before it’s carved off.
To achieve that caramelized goodness, we are using spiced ground lamb on a Blackstone Griddle. If you don’t have a griddle, a cast iron pan works well. You will just have to make one at a time in a skillet.
Smash burgers and smash tacos are a popular trend for a reason and these Smash gyros have the same great texture!
How to Make Smash Gyros
To make smash gyros we are going to mix ground lamb with grated onion, garlic and Gyro spice. We are grating the onion because the meat is cooking quickly for a short period of time.
We don’t want to end up with large chunks of uncooked onion in our meat. If you don’t want to grate the onion, you could use a food processor or just be sure to finely dice the onion.
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon Pepper
Can I use beef for gyros?
We love the flavor that lamb adds to gyros, but ground beef is a great alternative. We understand that lamb isn’t easily accessible for everyone, so go ahead and substitute some ground beef if it is what is available.
You could even use ground turkey if you are looking for a leaner healthy option, but you will loose out on some flavor if you go that route.
How to Smash Gyros
Form the meat into three large balls and place them on a hot cast iron or Blackstone griddle. Top them with a pita bread and firmly press down on them with a meat press or the bottom of a skillet. Press the meat until it spread 1/2 inch over the pita bread.
Cook for 2-3 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Using a large spatula, flip the smash gyros and cook for a minute until the pitas are lightly toasted.
What is the best pita?
I love a good soft pita bread or naan to make these smash gyros. If you are looking for a low calorie and high protein option, the Whole Wheat Flax and Oat Bran Pitas from Aldi are a great option.
Tomato Cucumber Salad
To top our smash gyros, we are going to whip up a quick and easy tomato cucumber salad. In a medium bowl, mix chopped cucumber, tomato, diced red onion and garlic. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
How to Serve Smash Gyros
Spread a generous dollop of hummus over the smash gyros and top with a spoonful of store bought tzatziki or Cucumber Greek Yogurt Dip. Spoon some tomato cucumber salad over the pitas and sprinkle with some crumbled feta.
The combination of rich lamb with the fresh vegetables, acidity, and creamy sauces is absolutely fantastic. Make these smash gyros for a fantastic dinner in less than 20 minutes!
More Easy Blackstone Dinner Recipes!
If you love an easy recipe you can make on your Blackstone that the whole family will enjoy, we’ve got you covered. Check out some of our favorites below!
- Blackstone Pasta Primavera – This dish cooks everything from the pasta to the vegetables right on your griddle!
- Crispy Pork Carnita Tacos – Cooking the cheese directly on the griddle makes for caramelized salty goodness that is divine!
- Blackstone Pineapple Chicken – Caramelized pineapple and chicken in a Japanese BBQ sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and savory.
- 3 pitas
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons gyro spice
- 1/3 cup grated red onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup hummus
- 3/4 cup tzatziki
- 4 ounces crumbled feta
- In a medium bowl, mix the lamb, gyro spice, grated onion and garlic with your hands until it is well combined. Divide meat into 3 even balls.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil to a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Add the meat to the pan and top with a pita bread. Using a meat press or pan, press down firmly until the meat is only 1/4 inch thick and overlaps the pita by 1/2 inch.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the meat is cooked through. Use a large spatula to flip the pita and cook for 1-2 minutes until the pita is lightly toasted.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the tomato, cucumber, red onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper until everything is combined.
- Top the smash gyros with hummus, tzatziki, feta and the cucumber tomato salad. Enjoy!
Ground beef is a good substitute for ground lamb
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 gyro
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 766Total Fat: 52gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 1300mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 49g