Roasted Poblano & Chorizo Egg Casserole is a low-carb breakfast recipe perfect for brunch or dinner! Fire roasted peppers are layered with spicy Chorizo and Mexican cheeses for a healthy egg bake bursting with bold flavors.
Roasted Poblano & Chorizo Egg Casserole
I am sharing this yummy egg bake recipe at the last possible minute for Cinco de Mayo. What better way to ring in this holiday weekend than with a spicy and healthy Mexican dish perfect for brunch or dinner?! This Roasted Poblano & Chorizo Egg Casserole is a low-carb recipe with only 7 ingredients. Fire roasted Poblano peppers are layered with Chorizo and onions and topped with Cojito, Manchego, eggs and milk for a light and fluffy egg dish you will adore!
Low Carb Breakfast
I love a good brunch with my family when they are home to visit, but my mother always makes the same egg bakes. Either sausage and cheese or ham and cheese. It doesn’t exactly get very exciting in her cooking routine to say the least. So I decided to spice things up with this Roasted Poblano & Chorizo Egg Casserole for something a little different. Nothing too crazy, as it still needed to be something my whole family would eat. I will just tell them it is a sausage and pepper egg bake. 😉
No matter what you call it, this breakfast dish is so good they will be begging you to make it again. I made a whole batch for myself and enjoyed the leftovers for an easy and healthy low-carb lunch throughout the week. It was a serious win!
- 3 large Poblano peppers
- 9 oz. Chorizo
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 5 oz Cotija cheese
- 8 oz. Manchego cheese, shredded
- Cherry tomatoes & Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Roast peppers over gas stove range, for 5 minutes, rotating so all sides char. Remove the blackend peppers from the stove and place in a large resealable bag. Seal the bag and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and chorizo for 7-8 minutes, or until the chorizo is cooked through and the onions are translucent.
- Remove the peppers from the bag and using a paper towel or washcloth, rub the skins off the peppers. Cut the peppers open and remove the stem and seeds.
- Layer the peppers in a sprayed 9x13 pan. Top with the chorizo mixture and crumbled Cojito cheese.
- In a large bowl, wisk the eggs with the milk. Pour the egg mixture over the chorizo. Top with shredded Manchego cheese and cover.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes covered. Uncover and bake an additional 30-40 minutes until the eggs in the middle are mostly set and the edges are golden brown. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with cherry tomatoes and cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g