This Light Queso Dip recipe is a hearty and zesty cheese sauce filled with lean ground turkey, jalapeños and onions for a healthier game day appetizer!
Light Queso Dip
This Light Queso Dip recipe actually came to fruition by accident! I was making a Mexican egg bake that started off with a light cheese sauce and some ground taco meat, onions and jalapeños. It gets mixed into eggs and baked, but before mixing the Queso into the eggs, I decided to try some with a chip and O.M.G. was it yummy! I decided I had to share this recipe with you before turning it into a breakfast casserole!
This is one of those recipes where you can use any lean ground meat. Whether it is turkey, beef or bison, there are so many strong flavors in this creamy cheese sauce, that you won’t really notice which meat is used. Hamburger typically adds the most fat though, which also equates to the most flavor.
I added jalapeños to this dip recipe for a nice kick of heat, but if you aren’t a big fan of spicy foods, you can easily substitute them for chopped green chilis.
Whether you are looking for a healthier appetizer recipe to serve at your next party, or just wanting something lighter to enjoy watching the football game on Sunday, this Light Queso Dip is a must try! Your guests won’t even know that you lightened things up because it is bursting with flavor and spice.
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 pkt. taco seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 c. skim milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 4 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
- 4 oz. can diced jalapeños, drained
- In a large non-stick skillet, saute the ground turkey and onion until there is no longer any pink in the meat. Stir in the taco seasoning.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and whisk in the flour. Continue whisking as you cook for 2 minutes.
- Very slowly, add the milk as you continue to whisk vigorously. When all of the milk has been incorporated, stir in the salt and pepper. Fold in the sharp cheddar until it is all melted.
- Stir in the ground meat and onion mixture along with the diced jalapeños.
- Serve immediately with chips or keep warm throughout your party in a small crock pot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g