Mini Turkey Taco Cups are perfect little bites of healthy taco seasoned turkey and beef, cheese, lettuce and salsa for a fantastic appetizer or lunch. If you are looking for a lighter option for your Superbowl party that will fool the guys so they are none the wiser, these Mini Taco Pies will be a hit!
One of my favorite meals growing up was Taco Pie. This is a popular dish in the Midwest and I can safely say that my husband is obsessed with it! Any time I ask him what he wants for dinner, Taco Pie is the answer just about every time. The problem with taco pie is that it is loaded with fat. Between the crescent crust, fatty beef, sour cream, Doritos and cheese, it is far from healthy. I wanted to make something with the same great flavors, but cut way back on the fat and calories.
To get started, cut the corn tortillas in half. Place a tortilla half into a muffin tin and very gently work it down into bottom of the tin with your fingers. Work the tortilla around the edges so you overlap the cut edges of the tortilla so they are just overlapping and press firmly into place. Repeat this with all 24 tins. Bake them for 15 minutes or until the corn tortillas are slightly crispy and hold their shape.
The filling is a mixture of extra lean ground turkey and lean ground beef along with some zucchini I sneak in the for some extra moisture and nutrients. You can use all turkey or all beef, but I prefer the balance of flavor and nutrition I get from using half and half.
Fill up your cups with the turkey and beef mixture, top with shredded cheddar and throw them back in the oven until the cheese is melted.
Now it’s time to top them with your favorite taco fixings. For me, that is lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole. Plate these guys up for the cutest and tastiest little appetizers at the party! They are also a great lunch idea you can pack up and add your favorite toppings at the office for a healthy and flavorful meal.
Light Mini Turkey Taco Cups
Light Mini Turkey Taco Cups are filled with taco seasoned turkey and beef and topped with lettuce, salsa and sour cream for the perfect healthy appetizer or lunch recipe! #Healthy #Appetizer #Light #Lunch
- 1/2 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. 93%-96% lean ground beef
- 1 large zuchini, shredded
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 pkg taco seasoning - substitute gluten-free seasoning if preferred
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 c. light sour cream
- 12 white corn tortillas
- 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 c. shredded lettuce
- 1 c. salsa
- Light sour cream and quacamole for garnish, optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- To get started, cut the corn tortillas in half. Place a tortilla half into a sprayed muffin tin and very gently work it down into bottom of the tin with your fingers. Work the tortilla around the edges so you overlap the cut edges of the tortilla so they are just overlapping and press firmly into place. Repeat this with all 24 tins.
- Bake the tortilla cups for 15 minutes or until the corn tortillas are slightly crispy and hold their shape.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onions, turkey and beef for 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and seasonings and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and fold in the sour cream. Scoop two tablespoons of the mixture into each tortilla cup. Top with 2 teaspoons of shredded cheese and return the cups to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve immediately topped with lettuce, salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
More appetizers perfect for game day!
Leave a Reply