Light & Fluffy Banana Protein Pancakes are a healthy breakfast with 5 simple ingredients that taste amazing and fill you up! Egg whites, protein powder and ripe bananas make up these low-fat and low-carb pancakes, for a complete and wholesome meal under 200 calories.
Light & Fluffy Banana Protein Pancakes
As much as I hate it, I am suppose to be following a low-carb diet as instructed by my doctor. I have PCOS and have been battling infertility the last few years and apparently carbs are the enemy in my situation. In the beginning I did great with high hopes that loosing weight and following the low-carb diet would be the answer along with medications. I lost around 35lb eating healthy meals like these Banana Protein Pancakes and got myself into a healthier weight range, required by my specialist to start treatment.
Banana Protein Pancakes Video
I started my first medicated cycle with far too high of hopes. I was just sure that between the drugs and my weight loss, it would be the magic bullet and we would get pregnant immediately. Needless to say, my hopes were dashed that cycle…along with subsequent cycles. During this time I fell off track and lost motivation when it came to my diet.
Although I have my struggles from time to time, lately I have been trying my hardest to reduce my carb intake. It is insane how carbs seem to be hiding in EVERYTHING! From tomato sauce to fruit to granola bars, all the places I would expect them and some I wouldn’t. Sadly, I seem to love all things loaded with carbs. Then again, who doesn’t?!
Despite trying to minimize my carb-intake, I still believe in moderation. There are times where you crave something hearty for breakfast like pancakes, instead of just string cheese or fresh fruit. A stack of normal pancakes would blow my entire day’s worth of carbs out of the water, so I wanted to come up with something equally filling but much healthier. I have seen versions of banana protein pancakes in the past but they seemed dense and unappealing.
Protein Pancake Recipe
One day a light went off in my head…whipped egg whites! By beating the egg whites alone, like you would for a meringue, it would make the batter much lighter and airier. The process worked wonderfully, they were like eating banana clouds! Banana Protein Pancakes don’t have the same consistency of a traditional pancake with flour, but they are equally wonderful in their own right! Top them with some honey yogurt and fresh fruit for the ultimate breakfast.
I highly recommend Naturade Whey Protein Booster for a protein powder that doesn’t have any added sugars and therefore only has 1 carb per serving.
This recipe makes two servings, so if you are flying solo you can toss the leftovers in the freezer, layered between parchment paper in a resealable bag and you will have a great breakfast option for the future!
Light & Fluffy Banana Protein Pancakes
- 2 20g each scoops vanilla protein powder
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- In two clean bowls, separate the eggs carefully so none of the yolk gets into the egg whites. Beat the egg whites on high for 2 minutes until they form soft peaks. (It is important that your bowl or beaters don't have any oil, fat or yolks on them, or the egg whites won't form peaks. Soft peaks are defined as barely holding their shape. The peaks flop over immediately when the beaters are lifted.)
- Add the remaining ingredients to the egg yolks and beat until smooth. Gently fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the banana mixture until roughly combined. Fold half of the remaining eggs whites into the mixture and finally the last portion until everything is well combined.
- Heat a skillet over low heat. Scoop 1/4 c. of the mixture onto the skillet and cook for 60-90 seconds on each side.
- Serve immediately.
- OPTIONAL: Top with fresh fruit and/or 1/3 c. plain non-fat Greek yogurt mixed with 1 Tbsp. honey.