Light Cheesy Chicken, Sausage & Rice Casserole is a creamy chicken and rice skillet filled with vegetables and sharp white cheddar for a healthy and filling one-pot dinner in only 30 minutes!
This Light Cheesy Chicken, Sausage & Rice Casserole is one of those easy dishes that came together with what I had on hand at the time. It was a busy spring evening and I wanted to quickly get something on the table that both my husband and I could enjoy. A little chicken, onions and red pepper along with some lite smoked sausage, brown rice and a homemade sauce with extra sharp white cheddar all came together to make this rice casserole a home run!
Speaking of home runs, it is summer softball season around here. It is amazing how not playing for 10 months can feel like eternity! It might also have to do with the fact that I haven’t been hitting the gym on the regular lately. But after the first couple games of the season, I was SORE!
Both of our pitchers from last season decided they couldn’t play full-time this season, so that left us scrambling to figure out who was going to pitch. I didn’t have the best season at first base last year, so I figured I would give it a try. I wasn’t as horrible as I expected I would be, but needless to say, I still need a lot of practice.
Thank goodness that one of the pitchers has been coming to all of the games, because I am the biggest head case when it comes to sports. When I decide I am not doing good at something it starts to go down hill fast. On the bright side, if I make up my mind I am good at something, I tend to do really well. Now if only I could always decide that…
Light Cheesy Chicken, Sausage & Rice Casserole
Light Cheesy Chicken, Sausage & Rice Casserole is a creamy chicken and rice hotdish filled with vegetables and sharp white cheddar for a healthy and filling one-pot dinner!
- 1 c. onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. red bell pepper, diced
- 5 oz. lite smoke sausage, sliced
- 1/2 lb. chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp Masa corn flour, can substitute all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 c. skim milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c. Light sour cream
- 4 oz. sharp white cheddar, shredded
- 2 c. cooked brown rice
- 2 c. steamed broccoli
- In a large skillet over medium heat and sprayed with non-stick spray, saute the sausage for 1-2 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and heat until melted. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Gradually add in the milk, whisking with each addition until smooth. Add the cumin, paprika and salt and cook for 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the sour cream and cheddar until melted. Add the sausage, chicken mixture, brown rice and broccoli. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 864Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 946mgCarbohydrates: 94gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 44g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Wait… I thought you were rocking the pitching? I have some Chicken Sausage that needs to be used up and this looks like the perfect thing to throw it in! YUM! Love that it’s one pot to obviously!