Light BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes are a healthy but hearty meal that will have everyone singing your praises. Creamy mashed potatoes with fat free Greek yogurt are topped with BBQ chicken and cheese for a delicious and easy dinner idea.
Light BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes
I was racking my brain, trying to come up with a healthy meal that the guys in the field could enjoy on the go, and these Light BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Potatoes came to me. The guys don’t care so much that their meals are healthy, but I wanted something I could enjoy as well. I am not about to start cooking multiple meals to please everyone. At the end of the day, I have to enjoy what I am cooking!
I thought twice baked potatoes would transport well, but I wanted it to be a complete meal. I tossed some chicken and onion in BBQ sauce, topped them with cheese and we had a hearty meal ready in less than 40 minutes!
I found the guys in the field and brought them dinner, that was still nice and warm. Shortly after, my husband called to tell me just how much he liked them. I was pretty excited because we are usually on very different pages when it comes to food.
Later on that night, my mom called me laughing. She said that my husband had called my dad to ask if he had gotten some of these twice baked potatoes for supper. He thought they were so good, he couldn’t contain his excitement and he had to share with my dad that this was the best meal I have ever brought out to the field! Needless to say, my dad whole-heartily agreed.
They guys have been done with spring planting for a week or two now, so there won’t be any more meals delivered for a while. That doesn’t mean I am not dreaming up different ways to make these twice baked potatoes for them when harvest rolls around! 😉
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 c. cooked chicken, cubed
- 1/2 c. BBQ sauce
- 2/3 c. shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt, or substitute light sour cream
- 1/2 c. skim milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/3 c. shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Stab each potato 2-3 times and microwave for 7-10 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over high heat, saute the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent. Add the BBQ sauce and chicken and stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and using an oven mit, carefully scoop out the flesh of the potato, being sure to leave a 1/4" in tact around the entire skin. This helps the potato hold its shape.
- Add the potato flesh to a mixing bowl and add 2/3 c. cheese, Greek yogurt, milk, salt, onion powder and chili powder. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spoon the potato mixture back into the potato skins and using the back of the spoon, create a divot in the center of each potato.
- Add a spoonful of the BBQ chicken and onion mixture into the center of each potato. Top with the remaining 1/3 c. shredded cheese and bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 233Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 446mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 7gProtein: 18g