Dark Chocolate & Orange Scones are soft and tender cake-like treats with a bright citrus flavor paired with rich dark chocolate. Whether you serve them for breakfast, brunch or dessert, they are sure to be a hit!
Dark Chocolate & Orange Scones
When you think of scones, do you think of bland, dried out bricks? I know I always have! That is until my husband and I stayed at this amazing little Bed & Breakfast in Duluth, MN for our anniversary. They served the absolute best warm raspberry scones for breakfast and I was officially converted. The best part is that they openly share their recipes! I didn’t get around to making them for quite some time, but when I did, I made my own version of these Dark Chocolate & Orange Scones and they were absolutely divine.
The bright orange zest is paired with rich dark chocolate in this decadent and soft scone for a treat you won’t soon forget. Chocolate and citrus paired together is always a win in my book! I added some chopped up candied oranges for a fun twist with little chewy bits of orange inside. I got my candied orange slices at Trader Joes, but if you don’t have access to them, you could easily skip them and the scones will still be great.
These Dark Chocolate & Orange Scones are best served fresh from the oven still warm, but they are still great for a couple days stored in an air-tight container. There really isn’t anything healthy about them, as they are filled with heavy cream and sugar, but they are worth the splurge every now and again for a special treat.
- 2 c. flour
- ¼ c. plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 c. chopped dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 c. candied orange, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. orange zest, divided
- 1 ¼ c. heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 400°.
- Mix flour, 1/4 c. sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips, candied orange and 1 Tbsp. orange zest. Add the cream and stir just until dough forms. Knead gently in the bowl just until dough holds together.
- Form the dough into a 10 inch diameter circle, ½ inch thick, on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and spread scones 1 inch apart from one another.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon orange peel in small bowl.
- Brush scones with melted butter and then sprinkle with sugar mixture.
- Bake scones until very light golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. (Do NOT over bake or they will dry out!)
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 365mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 21gProtein: 5g
Provided nutrition data is only an estimate. If you are tracking these nutrients for medical purposes, please consult an outside, trusted source.