Healthy Crock Pot Taco Soup is loaded with veggies and bold southwest flavors for a hearty meal perfect for the cold weather! It is a vegetarian soup that is low in fat and high in protein. It will fool even the biggest of meat-eaters into thinking it is loaded with beef, but it uses meatless veggie crumbles as a healthier substitute.
I know, I know, you must all be thinking I am crazy at this point, but I promise they aren’t as scary as they sound. I would have never tried them myself, for the fear of the unknown crazy vegetarian product, but I stumbled upon them at dining services once. They ran out of the beef option for the daily special, but still had some of the vegetarian special, so I decided to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how much the texture and flavor tasted just like meat! I made this soup over the weekend and enjoyed it for dinner. I packed up the leftover and put them in the refrigerator to enjoy for lunches at work during the week. My husband has been working his usual late evenings on the farm so I never expected him to give it a try.
That night he crawled into bed late and commented on the fantastic soup in the refrigerator that he loved. I laughed out loud so hard, because had he known it used meatless crumbled, I guarantee you he would have never even tried it. Unfortunately I had to explain my laughter, and when I told him what the soup was made with, he refused to eat any more. The boy is stubborn I tell you, he loved the soup but won’t eat more just because it isn’t “real” meat! What am I going to do with that boy?!
This tells you just how good the meatless crumbles are at disguising themselves as the real thing though. My husband is a tried and true meat and potatoes kind of guy and even he was fooled. If you aren’t on board with meatless crumbles just yet, you could easily substitute lean ground turkey or chicken that has been browned.
- 2 c. salsa (preferably NOT thick and chunky style)
- 4 c. chicken broth, divided
- 3 Tbsp. Masa corn flour (you can substitute all-purpose flour)
- 12 oz. package of meatless crumbles
- 4 oz. can diced green chilis
- 1 c. black beans, rinsed
- 1 lg onion, diced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 c. non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- Wisk flour into 1 cup of chicken broth. Dump into Crock Pot along with the remaining ingredients, except cilantro and Greek yogurt. Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Serve warm garnished with cilantro and Greek yogurt.