Dark Chocolate & Blueberry Energy Bites are a sweet little bite of dark chocolate and dried blueberries encompassed with whole grains and seeds for a protein packed snack or breakfast that will fill you up and leave you feeling satisfied.
Have you ever tried Brookside chocolate covered blueberries? They are AMAZING! The only problem is that I can make an entire bag disappear in no time. I love the flavor combo of blueberries with dark chocolate, but wanted to turn it into a healthier snack option. My Cranberry Almond Energy Bites turned out fantastic, so I figured, why not give it a try with this flavor combo?!
Well, I ended up loving these even more than my cranberry energy bites! It may have to do with the fact that they have chocolate in them, but I did cut out the coconut from the other recipe to balance the sweetness and nutrition, so in the end they are a serious win!
Yum, look at the chewy goodness with all the healthy protein coming from oatmeal, flaxseed, chia seeds and nut butter! You might be wondering why I am allllll up in this little energy bite’s business in this photo. Well, I just got a new macro lens and am LOVING it! I have been wanting one for awhile, but didn’t want to shell out the serious cash usually associated with them. I came across a good deal on a used Nikon 40mm f/2.8 macro lens, so I decided to take the leap.
I own some expensive glass, so I was worried this less expensive lens wouldn’t live up to my standards. Well, I can safely say that for food photography it has been wonderful! The color, sharpness and overall images are just what I wanted, so it is definitely my new go-to lens for food.
- 1.5 c. oatmeal
- ⅓ c. almonds, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed (optional)
- ½ c. nut butter (peanut or almond are both good)
- ¼ c. honey
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- ⅓ c. dried blueberries, roughly chopped
- ⅓ c. dark chocolate chips, roughly chopped
- Bake oatmeal and almonds for 8-10 minutes at 350°, stirring after 5 minutes. Allow the mixture to cool. (If you want the chocolate blended into the mix, don't cool it. If you want the chunks of chocolate to stay in tact, allow the mixture to cool completely first.)
- In a medium bowl combined the baked mix with flaxseed, nut butter, honey, chia seeds, blueberries and chocolate chips. Form into 1.5" balls and refrigerate. Store in an airtight container refrigerated for up to one week or freezer for up to 3 months.
More energy packed snacks!