Light Taco Soup is a healthy and easy 15 minute meal full of wholesome ingredients and bold flavors!
Light Taco Soup
I grew up eating hamburger at least every other day. I lived on a farm and beef and pork were the go to proteins stocked up in the freezer. My parents would buy a quarter cow or a half of a pig and stock up the freezer to feed their large family of six.
I can’t even lie, I wasn’t a fan of most of the hearty beef dishes growing up. While there were dishes like Stuffed Cabbage Rolls that I always enjoyed, but for the most part it got old.
Once I left for college, my diet consisted mostly of chicken. I love a good chicken breast to this day and always will. I was on my own and I could finally make what *I* wanted to eat. Life was great and I completely left beef and all that farm table food in the dust!
Over the last year I have been coming back around to beef. I have found that a good 93% lean ground beef is pretty lean but packs some serious flavor. While it isn’t something I eat on a daily basis, it is a good way to change up my chicken routine every now and again. Light Taco Rice Bake and Light Cheeseburger Quinoa Skillet are a couple of my most recent favorites.
This Light Taco Soup is a twist on one of my favorite soups, Chicken Tortilla Soup. The hamburger and jalapeño give it a rich and spicy bite with bold flavors you will love.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small jalapeño, diced
- 1 lb. 93%-96% lean hamburger
- 1 packet taco seasoing
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 48 oz. chicken broth
- 12 oz. tomato sauce
- ⅓ c. cilantro, chopped
- 1 c. non fat plain greek yogurt
- avocado for garnish
- whole grain chips for garnish
- In a large pot, add the olive oil and saute the onion, jalapeño and hamburger over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the spices and tomatoes and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and cilantro and cook for an additional 8 minutes.
- Stir in the Greek yogurt and serve topped with avocado and whole grain chips.