Triple Chocolate Cake is a rich and decadent dessert recipe loaded with dark chocolate for a sweet treat you are sure to love!
Triple Chocolate Cake
Most of the time I opt for an easy box mix cake, because frankly it is easy and pretty good if you eat it the same day. There is nothing quite like a rich and decadent chocolate homemade cake though! I have had lots of homemade chocolate cake over the years that lacks that rich chocolate flavor for some reason. I am not a fan of those to say the least. I was the chocolate flavor oozing out of the cake. This Triple Chocolate Cake recipe does not disappoint!
This Triple Chocolate Cake recipe starts out with an easy chocolate cake made with cocoa and dark chocolate chips for the ultimate chocolate flavor. It is finished off with a homemade chocolate buttercream that really drives home the decadent goodness!
The dark chocolate buttercream is ingeniously easy to make! Simply melt dark chocolate and butter together in a bowl and allow to harden in the refrigerator while the cake bakes and cools. When the cake is ready to be frosted, simply pull the bowl of chocolate and butter out of the refrigerator and beat it until light and fluffy using a hand mixer. Add in some powdered sugar and a little milk for the perfect consistency and you have the best dark chocolate buttercream frosting you will ever try!
To finish off this amazing Triple Chocolate Cake, add some chocolate shavings for good measure. At this point, can you really have too much chocolate?! At the very least, it adds a nice finishing touch.
This cake isn’t for the faint of heart. It is rich, sweet and oh so good. This is the perfect cake recipe for the chocolate lover in your life!
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ c. butter
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- ¼ c milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ c. buttermilk
- ¼ c. vegetable oil
- 1½ c. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ c. all-purpose flour
- ¾ c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- ½ bar semi-sweet or dark chocolate, shaved
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Begin by prepping the frosting, Add the chocolate chips and butter to a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for one minute and stir. Continue microwaving in 30 second increments, stirring well after each increment, until the chocolate chips are just melted. Place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and sugar. Add the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, when the chocolate and butter mixture for the frosting is cooled enough to be solidified (roughly 2 hours), beat it with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and milk and beat until smooth with a good spreadable consistency..
- Frost the cake with the buttercream and top with the chocolate shavings. Enjoy!
More great chocolate dessert recipes!