Strawberry Basil & Honey Goat Cheese Quesadillas are filled with sweet honey goat cheese, sliced strawberries and fresh basil for a scrumptious dessert or a light lunch. These quesadillas pack 10g of protein, but if you are looking to beef them up a bit more, toasted walnuts or grilled chicken breasts would be great additions.
Recipes like these make me so happy that I took the time to plant some herbs in the spring. My basil plant is growing well, but with the heat and lack of rain lately in Minnesota, it was starting to wilt. The beauty of sweet basil, is that I can be a slacker and not water it for two weeks. Even though it appears to be on the verge of death, I can easily recover it in a matter of a day with one good watering. I do love a hearty plant that can stand up to my black thumb, not to mention the sweet smell of basil that emanates from my herb pots right outside our house! 🙂
My cilantro, on the other hand, is the problem child. That stuff overtakes anything I plant near it, spreading like wildfire. It also seems to grow crazy tall and stops producing good leaves mid-summer. This likely has to do with the fact that I have zero clue on how to garden. Lucky for me, unlike basic, cilantro is abundant and cheap at the local grocery store.
Do you have any tips that might help me keep my cilantro alive and well all summer without spreading like a weed? If so, I would love to hear them!
- 4 tortillas (I use whole wheat)
- 1 pint strawberries sliced
- 4 oz. honey goat cheese (or regular goat cheese with 1 Tbsp honey blended in)
- ¼ c. basil chiffonade
- Spread ¼ of the goat cheese on half of each tortilla. On top of the goat cheese, add the sliced strawberries and basil. Fold the tortilla in half and spray each side with non-stick spray.
- Place on a spray pan or grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the tortilla is crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the heat and slice into three wedges. Serve immediately.
Looking for more great recipes to enjoy the sweet summer strawberries?
Strawberry, Gorgonzola & Walnut Salad with Quinoa
Strawberry & Whipped Feta Brurschetta