Buttermilk rhubarb batter topped with a cinnamon walnut streusel creates the perfect balance of sweet and tart in these delicious muffins.
I am currently obsessed with these Rhubarb Sreusel Muffins. This is a recipe that my Mom has apparently been holding back on us for decades! For my sister’s bridal shower recently, she made these and everyone was in love. We asked her where she got the recipe and she replied that she has had it forever! What the heck? Why in the world hasn’t she been making these every single summer as soon as the rhubarb is ripe?!
She claims that she has made them a few times in the distant past, but just forgot about these in the back of her pile of recipes. She typically makes this Rhubarb Custard Pie a few times each rhubarb season, which we all love as well, but these muffins are a definite contender for using up the rhubarb!
For the bridal shower, we popped some of these Pinwheels in each one to dress them up and they were a huge hit with everyone.
- ¾ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. vegetable or canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ c. buttermilk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ c. flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ c. chopped walnuts
- 1½ c. finely chopped rhubarb
- ¼ c. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ c. chopped walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 325° and place liners in your muffin tin.
- Combine the sugar, oil, egg, buttermilk and vanilla in a large bowl and mix well. Sift the flour, salt and soda into the mixture. Fold in the rhubarb and nuts and pour into your lined muffin tin.
- Combine the streusel mixture and sprinkle evenly on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake 30 minutes at 325°.
- *Check whether or not they are done by inserting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean they are fully baked, if not add a few additional minutes to the baking time.