Peppermint Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes are a beautifully festive dessert perfect for the holidays! Moist homemade chocolate cupcakes are topped with a candy cane swirl of buttercream and topped with peppermint for a seasonal treat.
Peppermint Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes
If you are looking for a last minute treat for your holiday spread, these festive Peppermint Chocolate Candy Cane Cupcakes are just the thing that will impress a crowd! They start out with a moist homemade chocolate cupcake and are topped with the best buttercream in a candy cane swirl, then finished off with a sprinkle of crushed candy canes for the ultimate holiday sweet!
If chocolate or peppermint aren’t really your thing, then be sure to check out these outrageously good Birthday Cupcakes. A light homemade vanilla cake is topped with a vanilla buttercream for a simple but luscious treat! But who am I kidding here…who doesn’t love chocolate?! I don’t think we can be friends if you aren’t a chocolate addict like myself!
Whether you crush the candy canes on top or find the cute little mini candy canes and stick them in the top, this dessert is absolute perfection for Christmas or any other winter holiday. If opted to top off my cupcakes with this seasonal Andes Peppermint Thins for the perfect finish.
The candy cane swirl of buttercream is surprisingly easy. Simply fill one pipping bag half full of white icing and another half full of red icing…or in my case pink because I have yet to master a good red frosting! Stick both bags into another pipping bag and it will create a half and half swirl that is beautiful! If you are more of a visual person like myself, check out this YouTube tutorial for instructions.
- 1 c. unsalted butter
- 1¾ c. sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 c. water
- ⅓ c. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2¼ c. cake flour
- 1½ tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c. shortening (butter flavored)
- 1 c. butter
- ½ c. milk or cream
- 1 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- red food dye (paste or gel)
- 32 oz. bag powdered sugar
- crushed candy canes for garnish
- 24 Andes Peppermint Thins
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar for a minute. Add the eggs, sour cream and water and mix until combined. Add the remaining cake ingredients and beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth and only a few lumps are visible.
- In lined cupcake pans, fill each cup ¾ full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat the butter and shortening for 3-4 minutes until smooth and lightened a bit in color. Add the vanilla, peppermint and ⅓ of the powdered sugar and beat for 2-3 minutes. Add half of the remaining powdered sugar and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar and beat the buttercream until it is light and fluffy.
- Seperate the buttercream into two bowls and dye half of the frosting red. Fill one pipping bag half full of white buttercream and the other bag half full of red. Place both colors into one pipping bag with a large round tip. (YouTube tutorial)
- Pipe or spread the buttercream on the cooled cupcakes and top with crushed candy canes and a mint. Store in an airtight container.