Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Tater Tot Hotdish is a comforting family friendly dinner recipe made with leftover ham, a homemade cheese sauce and crispy tater tots.
Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Tater Tot Hotdish
With Easter right around the corner and everyone baking up a ham twice as big as needed for the holiday dinner, there are never too many recipe ideas to use up all that leftover ham! These Cheesy Hot Ham & Broccoli Crescent Pockets are a family favorite at my house. I had so much leftover ham from the last one I made that I decided to try something new and whipped up this Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Tater Tot Hotdish. It is delicious and comforting recipe that the whole family will love!
I whipped up this Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Tator Tot Hotdish for the first time this summer for the guys in the field. It was a great meal idea that had everything from the meat, vegetables and potatoes all in one easy recipe. It just requires 5 extra minutes to whip up a delicious homemade cheese sauce to really add great flavor to the meal.
I even had requests for this to be served as leftovers the next day for supper. Clearly it was a hit with the men!
One important step to take when making any tater tot hotdish recipe is to broil the casserole at the end of the baking time. This ensures the potatoes are at their optimal crispiness. I don’t know about you, but there is nothing worse than mushy tater tots in my book. I like them hot and crispy to go wtih the creamy inside of the casserole.
If you are looking for something new and unique to use up all that leftover ham with this holiday, skip the ham sandwiches and give this Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Tater Tot Hotdish a try!
- 4 c. cooked ham, chopped
- 12 oz. bag frozen broccoli, thawed
- ¼ c. butter
- ¾ c. onion, diced
- ⅓ c. flour
- 1 tsp. garlic, diced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. pepper
- 2 c. milk
- ½ c. grated Parmesan
- 1 c. shredded cheddar
- 32 oz. frozen bag tater tots
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Combine the ham and broccoli in a sprayed 9x13 baking dish.
- In a saucepan, saute the onion in butter for 3 minutes. Whisk in the flour, garlic, salt & pepper until blended well and the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the milk ½ cup at a time, whisking until smooth with each addition. Bring to a boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. Stir in the Parmesan and cheddar cheeses until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and pour over the ham and broccoli mixture. Mix well so all the ham and broccoli is coated.
- Top the mixture with frozen tater tots and bake at 450° for 30 min. Turn the oven to broil and broil for 3-8 minutes, watching closely, until tater tots are the desired crispiness.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving so the mixture can thicken.