Blueberry Dark Chocolate Superfood Trail Mix is an easy and healthy snack recipe loaded with nutritious nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
Blueberry Dark Chocolate Superfood Trail Mix
So my sweet tooth has been off the charts lately and it is getting out of control. I was so good during my pregnancy and didn’t really even crave sweets. Now that I am breastfeeding two babies, I am ravenous and want allllll the sweet things. I whipped together this Blueberry Dark Chocolate Superfood Trail Mix to bring a little more balance to my snacking. It has dried blueberries and dark chocolate for a sweet touch and lots of nuts and seeds for filling fiber, vitamins and protein.
Instead of just tossing in some dark chocolate chips, which is totally a quick and easy option that you can take full advantage of, I souped up my chocolate with superfoods. I melted the chocolate in the microwave in a matter of minutes and stirring in some hemp seeds, chia seeds and ground flax seeds. If you are ever eating flax seeds for their nutritional value, be sure and use ground flax seeds because our bodies can’t digest whole flax seeds so you won’t benefits from the vitamins.
Not only are all of the ingredients in this Blueberry Dark Chocolate Superfood Trail Mix healthy and wholesome, they are also great for lactation if that is something of interest to you! All of the antioxidants and protein are great for milk production if you are a new mom looking to boost your supply. If you are breastfeeding or pumping, it is the perfect snack to have by yours side for the munchies!
For everyone else, this is simply a delicious and healthy treat to snack on that you are sure to love. It will satisfy that sweet tooth and has great staying power. This filling snack can be made extra healthy by using raw unsalted nuts and seeds. Personally, I would rather sacrifice some of the healthiness for the salt and flavor! Baby steps… 😉
- 4 oz. dark chocolate chips
- ⅓ c. hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 c. roasted and salted almonds (smoked are also a great option for a different flavor)
- 2 c. shelled pistachios
- 1 c. roasted Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1½ c. dried blueberries
- In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate for one minute. Stir until smooth and if there are still large chunks, microwave in 20 second increments, stirring well each time until smooth. Add in the hemp seeds, chia seeds and ground flax seeds. Spread the mixture over a silicone mat or on a cookie sheet greased with coconut oil, in a thin layer.
- Chill mixture for 1 hour. When it is cold, break the chocolate apart into small ¼ inch pieces.
- Mix the chocolate with the remaining ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.
- *I store mine in the refrigerator during warmer seasons so the chocolate doesn't melt.